supermount made /dev/hdc "read only"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: supermount made /dev/hdc "read only" Reply with quote

I was testing supermount for an friend that has gentoo linux, however, we did deticate that it was no good for varius reasions (if you know about any good auto mount replacments programs, plz tell me :)).

However, before i did remove supermount i was trying to get game working in wineX and whit supermount the game did hang on install, so i did read in the topic putting it to an read only (ro), did solve his problem.

But it didn't for my friend, but after that it gives up an on boot that the /dev/hdc cannot be mounted and now the mount is only avlable to root not normal users. Any suggestions ?

Last edited by jonfr on Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Tazmanian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: supermount made /dev/hdc "read only" Reply with quote

jonfr wrote:
I was testing supermount for an friend that has gentoo linux, however, we did deticate that it was no good for varius reasions (if you know about any good auto mount replacments programs, plz tell me :)), however, before i did remove supermount i was trying to get game working in wineX and whit supermount the game did hang on install, so i did read in the topic putting it to an read only (ro), did solve his problem, it didn't for my friend, but after that it gives up an on boot that the /dev/hdc cannot be mounted and now the mount is only avlable to root not normal users.

Wow. That's quite the sentence there. I can hardly make any sense out of it. In fact, I'm not sure about what you did, or what happened. You might want to try rewriting that.

If English isn't your first language, and you have difficulty expressing yourself in English, you might want to try posting in your native language in the appropriate forum. The people there would likely have a better time understanding what you're writing, and as a result, you would probably get some help sooner.
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: supermount made /dev/hdc "read only" Reply with quote

Tazmanian wrote:
jonfr wrote:
I was testing supermount for an friend that has gentoo linux, however, we did deticate that it was no good for varius reasions (if you know about any good auto mount replacments programs, plz tell me :)), however, before i did remove supermount i was trying to get game working in wineX and whit supermount the game did hang on install, so i did read in the topic putting it to an read only (ro), did solve his problem, it didn't for my friend, but after that it gives up an on boot that the /dev/hdc cannot be mounted and now the mount is only avlable to root not normal users.

Wow. That's quite the sentence there. I can hardly make any sense out of it. In fact, I'm not sure about what you did, or what happened. You might want to try rewriting that.

If English isn't your first language, and you have difficulty expressing yourself in English, you might want to try posting in your native language in the appropriate forum. The people there would likely have a better time understanding what you're writing, and as a result, you would probably get some help sooner.

Noted and fixed. I think that this is maybe an /etc/mtab problem, the drive is an DVD/RW one. But in my own /etc/mtab there is nothing about my own CDRW drive (I don't have combo drive).
Tazmanian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple clarifying questions.

First, what is /dev/hdc? Is that your CD-RW drive?

Second, so /dev/hdc can now be mounted only by root. Is it /etc/fstab that you changed to get this behaviour? If so, can you provide a listing of what your /etc/fstab looks like now?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: