Yay! got it working!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Yay! got it working! Reply with quote

hi all

just got gentoo installed, thought i'd post and say what a cool system this is, i'm a relative linux newb only really used it for anything serious for 3 months or so at uni, saw gentoo thought that'll be a challenge for the holidays, something to do when the turkey and chocolate runs out. heh its kept me amused for a few days on just the install

very satisfying to install a system this way - feels like i've achived something - though all i did was follow the install instructions and search these boards - but all that text scrolling down the screen - must mean i'm doing somthing heh

portage is very cool indeed - why havn't i seen anything this cool for windows? - oh wait wrong place to ask - sorry, heh

so whats the one thing about gentoo that i simply must know (that wasn't in the install thingy)?

also how long does it take for updates to get into the ebuilds thingy? i mean how often should i emerge -u world
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Yay! got it working! Reply with quote

Congrats!
Jonboy wrote:
also how long does it take for updates to get into the ebuilds thingy? i mean how often should i emerge -u world
Once a day. At most. Don't start any habits :wink: And I don't know what the one thing is that you have to know, but you fill learn it here! :D Have fun!

/me thinks a lot of people got gentoo as a christmas-present...
Dracnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo :)

There are many packages versions that are updated every day. You can emerge sync and emerge --UuD world every day if you wanted to (updates the world --deep). I don't think most people do this, but some like to keep their systems on the bleeding edge.

I would start with the desktop configuration guide, and then search the forums to find some really cool apps. It all depends on what you want to do, and much time you're willing to put in. Good luck!
Jonboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got kde working - did that as number one pirority - as i said i'm a newb - command lines may be more powerful and superduper wonderful but they aint very intuitive - i need a few clicky buttons at least, sound is the only issues in terms of desktop really - not sure where to being in terms of getting that working

fixing the fonts for X was fun, though mozilla still seems to want to use ugly fonts

will i eventually get a new kernel version with emerge --update system or do i have to download and complie that anotherway

there's so much stuff to do with a system like this, its very cool, i'm doing a software engineering degree, and i need to program in C++ a bit (well ok a lot but simple programs) using something like 'KATE' which comes with KDE as standard makes for a very useful tool - this OS is truely built for the geek
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Jonboy wrote:
will i eventually get a new kernel version with emerge --update system or do i have to download and complie that anotherway

With the emerge -u system you get the sources for the kernel, but you still have to compile it with genkernel or by hand. Portage will untar the sources you have installed (gentoo-sources, mm-sources, development-sources etc) and make a symlink from /usr/src/linux (/usr/src/linux-beta for development) to the current version of the kernel sources.
Jonboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah so i then complie the sources (using genkernerl) and change my grub config file?

will i need to unemerge the old sources? - how much space does the linux kernel take up?

once i've complied it i guess i need to recomplie the extra modules i've added (as it says in the install), will i need to recopmplie X and KDE? or will they just carry on working?

anyway this is getting a bit too close to being a support post, and i'm not likely to be compliing a new kernel for a few weeks at least
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jonboy,

congrats on the new system

Kernel--I have not used genkernel as I like to build mine by hand. When you download new kernel sources, the old one stays on the system. It is not removed unless you specfically request for it to ie
Code:
emerge -C

Also, with the kernel, it is geneally unessecary to rebuild and rebuild it unless you forget to say add support for a piece of hardware, or you need to enable something that your forgot etc. Once you have good working kernel, you can pretty much leave it alone. X and KDE also should not need to be rebuilt unless you go from the 2.4 kernel series to 2.6

Portage is a fabulous tool and at first is is fun constanly updating packages. For me the fun has worn off. I like to have my core system as "stable" and some other packages I use "bleeding edge". Which usually is some new package that came out at Sourceforge. I generally emerge sync everyday and see if there are any "system" packages that need updating.

Good luck to you. The forums will be your best friend. We have a very supportive community.

Cat
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh one more thing....in Mozilla, you can choose your fonts but make sure that you click the option "use my fonts"

and do a
Code:
emerge search fonts
there are some other fonts that you will want to install.
Abraxas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
X and KDE also should not need to be rebuilt unless you go from the 2.4 kernel series to 2.6

Why exactly is that? I switch between 2.4 and 2.6 quite regularly and have never had a problem with X. I never heard of someone recompiling their apps when switching to a newer kernel.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:

Why exactly is that? I switch between 2.4 and 2.6 quite regularly and have never had a problem with X. I never heard of someone recompiling their apps when switching to a newer kernel.

Only that some people, not all had problems using X after they moved to the 2.6 kernel. Mileage may vary
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
how much space does the linux kernel take up?

The source is about 200MB unpacked, and when compiled you get roughly 70MB more. I
Code:
emerge --oneshot (some)-sources
to keep the sources out of the world file, which make my diskusage 200MB everytime there is a new release on a kernel. It is especially good if you have multiple variants, like gentoo-sources, mm-sources etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: