Did I totally mess up my computer? chmod question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artherio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Did I totally mess up my computer? chmod question Reply with quote

Hey, I was trying to set the permissions of my /dev/dri file to the video group. I'm a complete Linux n00b so I wasn't too sure what I was doing. First off I did cd /dev/dri, then I type chmod --recursive --verbose 0600 /*, I didn't specify the directory because I figured it would start in the directory I am in. Well I noticed that it was changing the permissions of all of the files on my computer. I hit cntrl+c to stop it when I realized what is going on, is there anyway to undo this? I still have the console up and all of the files it changed. I just got linux up and running yesterday for the first time, will I have to reinstall everything?
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, as you probably know now, you didn't want to use the / in the command... if you have another computer handy, you could boot a livecd and check what the permissions of things are on there and adjust accordingly (most of the stuff in the same directory should have the same permissions, except /etc has some things different).

Otherwise you could post what directories were affected and I could check the permissions for you.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a reinstall indeed :(

while u could check everything by hand i dont recommend that - there are a lot of files even in a basic installation and u will never be sure that u didnt forget something. if i were u i would reinstall. there are some good news though: u are not the only one ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: