View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mawst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: xorg, fb console... GARBLED Reply with quote

Ok, so this all started when I went on an all day quest to get Twinview working with my card.

I did accomplish that, but I have it disabled now. (just need to uncomment some stuff to re-enable it)

At any rate, ever since I started tinkering with it, when I swicth from X to my ttys, I can't see anything... It's all garbled.

I don't know if it's related, but I've had a few isuues starting xorg lately, but I seem to have that all taken care of (as I'm in x right now).

I read a post on here earlier abotu using fbset, and after I did that my x wouldn't start at all, and I was getting uresolved fb symbols from my nvidia drivers (but that part is all solved now like I lsaid)

Does anyone know a good way to troubleshoot this garbled frambuffer console stuff? I really like my CLI. :cry:

-mawst
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid framebuffer consoles with NVidia cards. They've caused endless grief and pain. It'll mean no bootsplash, but I assume you can live with that.
Compile the kernel without Framebuffer device support but with Video mode selection support, and try passing it the command line parameter
Code:
vga=356
- that will give you a (pure text, no fb) console with 132 x 80 - more than enough, IMHO.
If you put the vga=356 parameter on the grub.conf command line don't forget to also add a second identical grub.conf entry with vga=normal, just in case something goes awry (a la your monitor not cooperating) and you end up with a black screen when booting vga=356.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
-ra1n-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
Avoid framebuffer consoles with NVidia cards. They've caused endless grief and pain. It'll mean no bootsplash, but I assume you can live with that.

Why? I've always used nvidia cards under linux, and only gentoo has this problem, so it's not a nvidia problem, but a gentoo problem, I've always used fb console and X with slackware, suse, even redhat/fedora, and it always worked there must be a solution
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-ra1n- wrote:
moocha wrote:

Why? I've always used nvidia cards under linux, and only gentoo has this problem, so it's not a nvidia problem, but a gentoo problem, I've always used fb console and X with slackware, suse, even redhat/fedora, and it always worked there must be a solution

Er, I assumed the original poster was using Gentoo, so please excuse me for suggesting a workaround when I don't know a fix. :x

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
tatesworld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to always have garbled text when exitinng X with previous kernels i used, my monitor used to switch off aswell on some kernels

but since 2.6.7-love6 (and love7 latest) framebuffer works perfect now, I use lates NVIDIA driver just recently released.

maybe its the different vesa refresh rate patch
vesafb-tng-0.9-rc2-2.6.7.patch , they are now using

so try love kernel with latest NVIDIA ebuild

hint, opengl may not work straight away (X may not even start depending on config)
do this

ldconfig
export LD_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib32
ldconfig
opengl-update nvidia
restart X
Chris W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a 2.6 thing: I have never had garbled consoles with 2.4 but got them immediately while trialing 2.6.7.
-ra1n-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with both kernels, maybe it's some patch of gentoo kernels, I'll try emergin vanilla kernels to see what happens (or I'll stay with standard console :-( )
tatesworld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try

emerge gentoo-dev-sources (or download love sources)
apply the vesa-tng new patch
alter grub/lilo config to suite , take out vga=xxx and replace with something like append="other_options_here video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768-16@75" on append line

you may find that it fixed that framebuffer problem
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: