View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sikander
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Openbox Problem for Root. Please read. Reply with quote

Hi,

I can't open OpenBox when I'm root. It works for me as a regular user though. In /home/adrian/ I have in my .xinitrc ...

Code:
#! /usr/bin/env bash

# make sure GTK apps use XFT if available
set GDK_USE_XFT=1
export GDK_USE_XFT

# set a wallpaper
# Esetroot ~/image/test.jpg

# load a window manager

exec /usr/bin/openbox

And when I log in as 'adrian' and type StartX the screen goes black and then a pointer appears and I'm in Openbox.

But if I type, as root, either "exec openbox" or "openbox" I get...

Quote:
Openbox-CRITICAL:**:Failed to open the display

and sometimes I get booted as root. I have to keep adding my PATH as root each time so I type:

Quote:
$ PATH="/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH"
$ PATH="/usr/bin:$PATH"

when I start.

When I type 'startx' as root it takes me to that WindowsManager that is installed by default when Gentoo is compiled -- the one with the green bars and that weird looking clock in the upper-righthand corner.

Please help. I have tried Google and this forum's search. As far as the root's .xinitrc file I just copied what I have above. Sine it wasn't working I thought I put it in the wrong directory so there is a copy of the .xinitrc in...

Quote:
/
/home

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian
Andersson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Openbox Problem for Root. Please read. Reply with quote

Sikander wrote:
I can't open OpenBox when I'm root.

It's just as well. X starts a lot of different programs, which means a lot of risks. These programs shouldn't run with root permissions. Just start openbox as a regular user and use a terminal emulator and the command su to do your root tasks.
Sikander wrote:
I have tried Google and this forum's search. As far as the root's .xinitrc file I just copied what I have above. Sine it wasn't working I thought I put it in the wrong directory so there is a copy of the .xinitrc in...

Quote:
/
/home

Root's home is /root/ ;)
Sikander
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andersson,

:oops: Thanks a lot! I copied the .xinitrc to that folder and it worked.

I'm new to Linux, well, new enough, that I don't know how to make things like the "PATH'/" stuff permanent. Earlier I was on as 'adrian' and opened XMMS. I tried to open the MP3 I listened to last night -- nothing. So I started thinking maybe my module i gone and such and then realized that the 'user' doesn't have permission to access the hard drive with my MP3s. So I close XMMS, SU'es and then opened it again to hear my music. My searches for "add defualt PATH" in google haven't produced any fruitful results. I did find an argument on wether PATH="/usr/bin:$PATH was safer than $PATH="/usr/bin" or something along those lines.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I appreciate it. :D

Adrian
Andersson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the path... there are some paths in /etc/env.d/00basic. Not all paths, I don't know in what file the others are but I guess you could add your paths to that file.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: