Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Another problem with GRUB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beutlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Another problem with GRUB Reply with quote

Ok, i tried to install Gentoo Linux from stage1 and everything worked fine, using and following the Install Guide. When I try to reboot, nothing happens, exept that you can see the word GRUB on the screen. The computer hangs up and the only thing you can do is to turn it off and on.

So my first question is how can I login using the install CD, I found the code:
Code:
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo                     <-- create a mountpoint for your / filesystem
# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo           <-- attach your root partition (substitute hda3)
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot      <-- attach your boot partition (substitute hda1)
# mount --bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc   <-- since you never know when something might need it
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

but I think, that the next to last commandline isn't right, shouldn't I write
Code:
# mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc

instead? I made this and it seems that everthign works fine. Does it?

So if it does, now I can try to find the problems using GRUB.

I installed GRUB using the boot partition, which is the /dev/hdb2 and named it correctly (hd1,1), on the MBR, which is /dev/hdb -> called (hd1).
I configured the menu.lst file as the Installing Instructions says and i also checked if the splashimage is where it should be and if i have copied the bzImage to where it belongs. So everythings seems to be done correctly, does anybody know what the problem could be?

mfg Andreas
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Another problem with GRUB Reply with quote

beutlin wrote:

[code# mount --bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc <-- since you never know when something might need it[/code]
but I think, that the next to last commandline isn't right, shouldn't I write
Code:
# mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc

instead?

I think it's the same, --bind seems to be some kind of shortcut to -o bind

beutlin wrote:

I configured the menu.lst file...everythings seems to be done correctly,

do you mind showing us your menu.lst?

If you have some kind of bootloader (lilo?) in SuSE, you could copy your gentoo's bzImage to SuSE's /boot, and set up your /etc/lilo.conf to find it.

That will allow you to boot directly into gentoo, until you got your gentoo's own grub fixed

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another problem with GRUB Reply with quote

Ok, as i found out, grub doesn't work if you install it in the MBR of the second harddisk.

My system is as follows, on my first HD is Win2k and an old suse Linux, using BootMagic to boot. On my second HD is Gentoo Linux using GRUB tu boot. So i decided just to change both harddisk so that now Gentoo is on HD1 and Win2k etc is on HD2, i changed the fsatb file and the menu.lst file and now i can boot gentoo using grub. I can also boot Win2k or Suse when i change the boot device in the BIOS. Now the problem is that i can't boot BootMagic or the NTloader using GRUB. Can anybody tell me how this works. I have allready tried
Code:

#windows
title=winnt
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

So i have fixed the problem to boot with GRUB, but now i can't access Win2k with GRUB. Thanks for help!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Another problem with GRUB Reply with quote

Sorry i forgot to say how my second HD is partioned:

hdb1=win2k ntfs
hdb2=linux ext2, now unused
hdb3=BootMagic hidden fat32, holding the Bootmagic

the rest are logical partitions holding Suse Linux and a partition for data

thx
kirill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another problem with GRUB Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Code:

#windows
title=winnt
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

So i have fixed the problem to boot with GRUB, but now i can't access Win2k with GRUB. Thanks for help!!!!

I think it should be rootnoverify (hd1,0) and not root (hd1,0)
I'm not quite sure about it though :)

search for 'rootnoverify' on this forums and you should find some example windowze-lines for grub.

cheers

P.S. I think that BootMagic installed itself into hard drive's MBR, so you might need to rootnoverify (hd1) (the ',0' is gone)
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
ot. So i decided just to change both harddisk so that now Gentoo is on HD1 and Win2k etc is on HD2, i changed the fsatb file and the menu.lst file and now i can boot gentoo using grub. I can also boot Win2k or Suse when i change the boot device in the BIOS. Now the problem is that i can't boot BootMagic or the NTloader using GRUB. Can anybody tell me how this works. I have allready tried

I have the same setup as you. It Windows doesn't like to be the second HD, and needs virtual mapping in order to trick it into thinking it is the first HD. This is my menu.lst:
Code:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3

title=Windows 2000 Professional
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify=(hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I fixed the problem, bellow the important part of the menu.lst file
Code:

title=Windows 2000
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,2)
chainloader +1

using this code now i can access the Ntloader, which is on partition hdb3, with GRUB. I couldn't menage to boot Bootmagic, which is on a hidden fat32 patition hdb1. It would just be intresting why, but it doesn't matter, because now i can access every OS using GRUB.

A last not so important question now is, does anybody know were i can configure the NTloader using a file like 'menu.lst' ??

However, thanks for helping!!!

mfg Andreas
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves, the ntloader uses boot.ini. Be sure you understand how it works before messing with it though.
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your bootmagic partition is hidden, then you will need to use grub to unhide( ) it I believe.

Check out the documentation for grub if you really want to, but I would recommend just having ONE bootloader on your PC (grub) instead of trying to configure 3 (grub, ntldr, bootmagic).

Just get grub working, and the rest should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm grub works and everything is fine - I don't need the BootMagic any longer-, but how can i get rid of the ntloader.

To the above above message: I tried to unhide the partition but it doesn't work either, but as I told I don't care, grub works fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: