Routing SSH connections with WinXP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother Dysk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Routing SSH connections with WinXP Reply with quote

I have a WinXP box that serves as a router, and gives DHCP to my local network. What I'd like to be able to do is SSH into a Linux box on the network, from the internet. That would require WinXP to send port x traffic to the specified box. Is this possible?
scout
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my solution isn't very clean nor performant but it is simple to configure: install a ssh client for windows that can do port forwarding, like for example putty, and then configure it to forward the local port 22 to the port 22 of your linux box. (in the tunne section of putty: Local port accept connections form other hosts: Yes; Source port:22; Destination: localhost:22; Local; click on Add, and then log in your linux box). Then if you use a ssh client to connect to your windows box it will forward everything through putty and connect to the linux box. you might also check zebedee, because I think there's a client for windows, but basically it would do the same thing as putty's tunneling, plus the fact it can forward udp. when you're conformatble with putty, you can use the command line client (called plink) to do port forwarding, make it start at boot in windows and make it connect automatically with the use of keys instead of a password.

I am not very proud of this, but it should work reliably . :wink:
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

What about asking the vendor?
A little search would have shown you this one: Q309524
Should be easy to adopt to your needs.

HTH
T.
secondshadow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a program on my server that takes care of setting up ICS forwards for me. Once KDE finishes re-building I'll fire up windows for a brief second and post the link
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: