Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Windows Emulation Today - Wine, WineX, Lin4Win, VMWare, etc.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Windows Emulation Today - Wine, WineX, Lin4Win, VMWare, etc. Reply with quote

Now that I've actually got a PC with some real power to it (P4 2.8MHz), I decided that it was finally time to investigate putting Linux back on my primary gaming PC again. (not that I have no love for it - been running it on my server for years) With the whispered speed enhancements of the 2.6 kernel, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to start back into this!

I decided I'd check to see if there was a forum thread comparing the various Windows emulating software (by plugging in a few of the names in the subject into the search box) and didn't come up with a thread quite like what I was looking for, so I figured I'd start one of my own.

Quite simply, what is your experience with Windows emulation? What are your experiences (good and bad) with running programs that you find yourself needing Windows for over Linux? How well did your favorite games work? And if you noticed slight performance degredation, has the situation changed since switching to the 2.6 kernel?

If you have any feedback whatsoever, please leave a comment. It would be a good idea to first mention your system specs so we can get an idea of how your experience relates to hardware. Even if an emulator you've played with isn't listed in the subject, feel free to share your experience with the rest of us. Assuming I'm not posting a duplicate thread (and I tried not to), we need a serious discussion about the current state of Windows emulation.
_Nomad_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use crossover office on an athlon-xp 2200+ with 512 MB PC3200 RAM. The only thing I really use windows emulation for is office apps.
Office XP is runnin rock solid and with the speed of any windows system.
I did try winex a few months ago in order to play a game (can't remember wich one at the moment :wink: ) but it was just too much hassle.
Lord Bob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recently got gentoo back on my box. Blasted nforce drivers and stupid tv card were definately designed with only Windows in mind. 2.6 came around and fixed that.

I digress.

I put wine on my box a couple days ago to see if I could get a couple of my favorite windows games working, but no dice. It is painful to see wine tank on the InstallShield wizard. I might just copy the install from my windows partition, but it would be really cool if InstallShield worked under wine, though I think it will be a while before this happens. It might also have something to do with copy protection, but I don't know for sure.

Last year (before my tv tuner) wine worked well with a zip proggie I had in Windows (EnZip). I used it to create a few self extractors for my Windows friends. I also ran Trillian in it once, but now I use kopete or Psi 8) .

I tried bochs once, but it only has a 16 color virtual graphics card. I wasn't ambitious enough to do anything about it.

Hardware info:
Athlon-XP 2100+
480MB ram
32MB GeForce 2 integrated
nForce (dunno what version) mobo with integrated net
SoundMax digital audio-nForce audio driver works, though. What does Compaq know anyway :roll:
TI Firewire card
AverMedia TV Studio (bttv chip) tv tuner
compaq 48x cdrom
pioneer dvd-rw

software info:
Gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.1-rc2
kde 3.1.4
wine-20031118-r1
Cerement
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Emulation:
Wine (the original)
WineX (Wine optimized for gaming)
CrossOver Office (Wine optimized for office use)

x86 Hardware Emulation:
vmWare (expensive, but gets great reviews, x86 arch only, no 3D accel)
win4lin (needs kernel patch, has a Gentoo discount)
bochs (free, SLOW)
plex86 (dead project, x86 arch only? )
Negated Void
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that compiling wineX from CVS will get *most* windows games running, with a little work.
My 2 cents, -Murph
defendtherealm1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Bob wrote:
I have just recently got gentoo back on my box. Blasted nforce drivers and stupid tv card were definately designed with only Windows in mind. 2.6 came around and fixed that.

I digress.

I put wine on my box a couple days ago to see if I could get a couple of my favorite windows games working, but no dice. It is painful to see wine tank on the InstallShield wizard. I might just copy the install from my windows partition, but it would be really cool if InstallShield worked under wine, though I think it will be a while before this happens. It might also have something to do with copy protection, but I don't know for sure.

Last year (before my tv tuner) wine worked well with a zip proggie I had in Windows (EnZip). I used it to create a few self extractors for my Windows friends. I also ran Trillian in it once, but now I use kopete or Psi 8) .

I tried bochs once, but it only has a 16 color virtual graphics card. I wasn't ambitious enough to do anything about it.

Hardware info:
Athlon-XP 2100+
480MB ram
32MB GeForce 2 integrated
nForce (dunno what version) mobo with integrated net
SoundMax digital audio-nForce audio driver works, though. What does Compaq know anyway :roll:
TI Firewire card
AverMedia TV Studio (bttv chip) tv tuner
compaq 48x cdrom
pioneer dvd-rw

software info:
Gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.1-rc2
kde 3.1.4
wine-20031118-r1

It's most probably not failing because of InstallShield but because of Windows MSI (Microsoft Software Installer). Both Wise & Installshield use MSI these days. MSI is an install engine designed for clean and standard install of Windows applications.
kill_switch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: no need for emulation Reply with quote

I don't need neighter wine nor winex.

The only things I play run native!!!

(Quake I,II,III, UnrealTournament + 2003, AmericasArmy)

so don't forget that there are already games running completely without emulation
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for everything apart from games, vmware is 'the daddy'

running it on two linux boxes and it's flawless 8)
nazgum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add vmware is amazing.

I've been running pure gentoo for a long while now - but I use vmware so I have access to windows when I need it (I do some flash work - and flash just doesn't work so well in wine)

besides the ability to use vmware with windows - it's cool to install redhat and mandrake and whatnot in vmware - so you can play around with the other distro's while running linux if you end up forgetting how cool gentoo is ;)

I ended up calling around a few places and managed to scratch up a student vmware licence price for $160 Canadian.

Which isn't bad - vmware is one of my favorite programs atm.
nepenthe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the winex-cvs version is missing some stuff as opposed to the pre-built winex from transgaming... but I use wine... and look at appdb.winehq.com for support on games... have been able to get steam 1.6 to work and some other games... but much rather go native games =)
drb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a 2.6.0 vanilla kernel.

I have been using wine (Version 20031212) for a few oddball applications and it works about 80% with those apps. The odd error messages, but most of applications I need are useable. Some applications just won't run though, so not a complete solution for me.

I have tried VMware, but couldn't get the sound to work problerly; I would get far too much stuttering. Also had problems accessing the cd-rom. When the free evaluation expired, I just removed it. For the money, it just didn't seem worth it to me.

I am in the process of installing Win4Lin now.
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Win4Lin will allow me to use my netMD software?
vdboor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using VMWare to start all Windows software I need.. And it it'sn much, because I like the alternatives for the Windows software I'd use otherwise.

There is one important thing to note: you can't play your 3D games with VMWare, and you need some memory to run it. Currently my configuration is:

- amd athlon 1800
- 128 mb swap space.
- 750 mb ram. .. 512 mb wasn't enough to run xfree/kde and vmware/windows at the same time. :p

I try to limit the usage of swap space, because I've experienced how this slows down a system very much. That's why I invest in a little more ram, instead of using more disk space for swap.
Linux user #311670 and Yet Another Perl Programmer

[ screenies | Coding on KMess ]
Lord Bob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defendtherealm1 wrote:
Lord Bob wrote:
stuff

It's most probably not failing because of InstallShield but because of Windows MSI (Microsoft Software Installer). Both Wise & Installshield use MSI these days. MSI is an install engine designed for clean and standard install of Windows applications.

D'OH! Apparently not a clean install in an emulated environment/on top of a compatibility layer.

Anyway, Bochs 2.1 was released today. I am getting the source right now! OS news has a little blurb on their site about it. Some comments indicate that performance issues with bochs have not been fixed, but the graphics drivers now support more color! I don't need mad performance, so this could be just what the doctor ordered! I'll probably be back in a little while with my comments on it.
Lord Bob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got Bochs running and tried knoppix on it. I didn't do a whole lot of configuring with it so YMMV.

I think I need to read the user guide that needs to be updated. But really quickly:
1. Bochs is slow. You might be thinking PII mmx 350. No. Think Pentium 60.
2. The video "card" is funny. I'll have to do some tinkering on this.
3. I don't think drives on the host can be used in the emulated environment as drives. I'll need to check this out further, however.
4. In the introduction in their documentation, they don't recommend anything past Windows 95. hmm.
5. I need to tinker with it more... much more.

Sorry this follow up was pretty bad. Bochs requires much tinkering.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: