Gentoo installation being wierd.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djh-world
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Gentoo installation being wierd. Reply with quote

Hi there, I started attempting to install gentoo last week, and well, I haven't really got very far. I have been able to install gentoo a few times, but having problems with my ATI card, so I decided to reformat and start again.

But my gentoo installer is being strange, i'm doing all the right things (because its worked before! and i've got the code listings written down in steps on my notes!), but when it comes to doing "emerge -k gentoo-sources", it just attempts to download the package from the internet. Seeing as Gentoo refuses to acknowledge that I have a network card and i've given up any hope of getting *that* to work, i'm pretty much stuck. But the thing is, the package is there! It's in /usr/portage, I dir'd into the folder and found it under sys-kernel, ready for use!

Why is it doing this?

In make.conf I believe all my settings are correct, portdir is "/usr/portage" and pkgdir is set to "$portdir/packages"

Anyone got any ideas?
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What network card do you have? There are patches for at least most of them out there. You might want to try installing from knoppix instead of the gentoo liveCD. It has really good hardware support and autodetection.
djh-world
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a broadcom 5788, onboard my MSI KT6 Delta. On load up on the liveCD it just states "No network device found"

I'll check this knoppix thing though, thanks
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamezfreakuk wrote:
But the thing is, the package is there! It's in /usr/portage, I dir'd into the folder and found it under sys-kernel, ready for use!

That is the location of the ebuild. The actual GRP package should be in /usr/portage/packages/All/ after copying it from the CD.
djh-world
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh!

Soon after posting this topic the answer lied in one of the sticky threads at the top. Apparently it's a bug with the gentoo installation process.

Anyway, I tried asking the question in the networking forum, but didn't get a reply. Does anyone know how i'm gonna get my onboard Broadcom 5788 to work with Gentoo? Or am I doomed to not have the internet on Linux for good?
Starlight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a Knoppix or SuSE live cd and see if those can use your network card. If so, you're not too far off There is a value/time consideration in getting this to work - this is one of your more inexpensive components and easily replaced.

Mike
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: