question on stage 1 installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breathe nitrox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: question on stage 1 installation Reply with quote

I'm doing a stage 1 install of 2.6 on my desktop system. I have prevously done a sucessfull stage 1 2.6 on my old TP600x. In the install guide para 5b, down loading the proper stage, if you follow there directions and look in the releases directory there is no stage 1 file. In my case I'm looking in the P4 directory. However in the exp directory there is a stage 1 file, but this is a X86 optimization not a P4. If I unpack the stage 2 file my make.conf has what looks like P4 optimizations. If I unpack the stage 1 file it looks like I only get X86 optimizations. When I did the build on the TP600 I used the stage 2 P3 file, used the make.conf that it generated, and then did the stage 1 boot strap as described in the guide. Everything seemed to work ok. Now lets say on my desktop I unpack the stage 2 file and use the make.conf it generates, if I then do a stage 1 build am I -

a) bootstrapping with the propper P4 optimizations
b) not really doing anything different then if I just skipped the boot strap and did the stage 2 install as desribed in the guide.

To put it more clearly, if I boot strap with the make.conf as generated by the stage 2 file, am I optimizing for my system or will I end up with exactly the same bootstrap that the stage 2 build woul have given me?

If I do a stage 1 as described in the guide, and use the make.conf as generated by the stage 1 (x86) file will I end up with a less optimized system then if I used the P4 make.conf. I guess I'm suppose to set the optimizations myself, but I don't think I could do any better then what the stage2 file generates.
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stage1 is the same for all x86. You set the options in /etc/make.conf for your p4.

a)yes
b)exactly

Then maybe you should do a stage2 install instead...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: