Sound on left speaker is gone with emu10k1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ender_wiggin30
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Sound on left speaker is gone with emu10k1 Reply with quote

I am having a strange problem, I use soundblaster live 5.1 and whenever I use Gentoo "dual boot", sound from left speaker is gone. I check xmms, it mentions output is Oss driver which I thought should say ALSA. Did I somehow not compile ALSA during my kernel compile ? I thought emu10k1 is provided by ALSA. Here's a sample output

emu10k1 57832 2
ac97_codec 9800 0 [emu10k1]
sound 53908 0 [emu10k1]
soundcore 3588 7 [emu10k1 sound]

Card works fine under Windows, it worked fine with Slack + Mandrake before. Any ideas ?
PovMan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For xmms, you can select different output plugins. to use alsa, emerge media-plugins/alsa-xmms then select it as the output plugin
about having lost the left channel, are you sure it isn't panned to the right? run alsamixer or any of its variants.
formzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am having the exact same problem. it's not just with xmms. it does the same thing in Ardour, no left channel anywhere. i'm running alsa with the SoundBlaster Live. anyone else had this problem?
transitbus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious have you emerged alsa-utils? I find I it very helpful in getting the sound working (even if it's still buggy as h-e double hockey sticks)

If you want to get technical post us the .config portion dealing with alsa and or the output of amixer.

Also if you haven't yet go back and read the how-to for alsa and make sure you have you levels set with amixer then (emerge alsa-utils if you haven't yet) check to make sure everything needed is turned up and the horizontal sliders are centered in the gui of alsa's volume control. You can also look at alsamixer in the cli. I don't know what the gui looks like in kde but us gnome brats have gnome alsa-mixer(or some name like that). :D Oh and also make sure your sessions are saving your setting when you log out.
Tarball
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem to this when I was using 2.4.20 kernel with the EMU10K1 drivers, to correct it I had to run emu-dspmgr -z which cleared the emu chip's internal routing paths (or something).

I am now using ALSA included in the 2.6.3 kernel and the sound works (kindof) but the controls on the mixer don't seem to alter the correct aspects of the card. eg Altering the 'Wave Surround' slider affects the front pair of speakers????
nlightn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=143018

...kind of a "shifty solution," but it worked for me and Cheesegoduk.
Satori80
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos, tarball. I can't compile ALSA for wtf ever reason (keep getting 'unresolved symbols errors) so I have to use just the emu10k1 driver and I've been going nuts with this left channel deal. Your suggestion fixed me right up.

Many thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: