View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: I got the Esetroot woos Reply with quote

I have tried all the answers I can find in search to no avail.

Here is my problem.
I added the line below to my .xinitrc file and after I boot and run startx I can see the wallpaper for about 2 seconds, then fluxbox finishes loading and resets the screen to the default grey...:( I do get my idesk icons, so that part works.

.xinitrc
Quote:
Esetroot /usr/pictures/wallpaper/xxxxxx.jpg
idesk &
exec fluxbox

I can set my background manually after fluxbox is running without problem. I tried setting the BG with Esetroot and then adding a line in the .fluxbox/init file like
Quote:
Esetroot -1

But after reboot I get the same problem

Some have said well use either bsetbg or fbsetbg, but neither are in portage that I can find with emerge -s eithername.

I remember from the last time I built a Gentoo box that the BG needs to get set before idesk runs so that the icons will have the wallpaper in the background and keep idesk from having black boxs in the icons. That is why I tried setting Esetroot before everything else.

Any help will be great...

Thx
vitriol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try feh:

Code:
*  media-gfx/feh
      Latest version available: 1.2.0
      Latest version installed: 1.2.0
      Size of downloaded files: 326 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.linuxbrit.co.uk/feh
      Description: A fast, lightweight imageviewer using imlib2

And use this in .xinitrc:

Code:

feh --bg-scale image.jpg

Chuin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Fixed.... Reply with quote

Thank you Vitriol for the help. It wasn't the cure, but it got me thinking that it had to be something in Fluxbox since both of our BG tools had the same problem.

I remembered seeing a post about a commandroot line in .fluxbox/init needed to be removed, but this was a post from a user who was installing styles, I was not, so I didn't think I had a style to worry about. I was wrong, fluxbox installs a default style. Once I removed that line from the style it worked great.

Just to be clear. .fluxbox/init has an entry and path to the current style your system is running. Edit the style and remove the line, was the last line in the file for me, that says commandroot and background. This will fix the error.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: