Stage1 install A-OK! but three little problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Stage1 install A-OK! but three little problems Reply with quote

Hi,

I finally got through the installation.
I installed from Knoppix, and after a few false starts which were due to ignorance on my part, I finally started to clue in on how to install Gentoo.

That being said, I wish to congratulate all the Gentoo developers, because this is one hell of cool project!

I'm a long-time Windows user, and an almost total newbie concerning Linux.

OK, on to the problem I'm having.

I've configured my computer with a Stage1 installation, and as the message title states, it has worked beautifully; my computer boots with Grub and then goes on to boot X and I've got quite a few packages emerged successfully.

Once again, I have to relate how AMAZING I find Gentoo and the emerge system!

One problem I do have is that in one of my preceding install attempts, when i would boot the computer, it would load Grub, progress to booting the kernel, and a little bit after the hard disk probing would start, the computer would reboot.

That was due to the DEV and PROC folders either being missing or incorrect (a long story, I won't bore you because it has no bearing on this), so because of that I decided to start off minimally and gradually add modules.

So when this last successful installation attempt finished, I had no sound and no graphics.

I've been able to emerge XFree, and afterwards get X to start at boot-time, so now I have graphics.

I have no sound though.

My sound card is a Soundblaster Live.
I know that emu10k1 is required for this, and I have successfully emerged it, but I can't seem to figure out how to activate it...

What do I have to do to get the sound to work, and load at startup?

The other problem is that I have 1.5GB of RAM on the system, but the kernel is reporting
Warning only 896MB will be used.
Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.

Is there a simple way to correct that? Do I need to re-build the kernel? Or emerge a module?

My last problem is that the video card on the system is an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder (an older card, not the new series), and from the research I've done, I would need to run the Gatos drivers to get the acceleration and TV-Tuner on the card to work.

But when I tried this command

emerge ati-gatos

I received the following message

!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "ati-gatos" have been masked.

I suspect it might be because I used the vanilla kernel sources instead of the Gentoo sources when building the kernel, but I am not sure.

If you can help, please respond.

Thanks

PS - Wonderful project; I'm never going back to Windows!
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My sound card is a Soundblaster Live.
I know that emu10k1 is required for this, and I have successfully emerged it, but I can't seem to figure out how to activate it...

if you have compiled the module, you also have to load it
load it manually by typing
Code:
modprobe emu10k1
as root and have it load automatically by adding it to a /etc/modules.d/... file and then run modules-update.

I don't know wheter you are using ALSA or OSS for your sound, but as you use 2.4 and haven't told us you emerged alsa-drivers i am assuming so.

Quote:
But when I tried this command

emerge ati-gatos

I received the following message

!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy "ati-gatos" have been masked.

portage "masks" packages that are not marked as stable. That doesn't necessarily mean they are unstable but they sometimes are.

You can unmask a package by adding it to /etc/portage/package.mask (add dir's and files as needed) or you can emerge masked packages by
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge pkgname

not to be offensive or something, but after the installation guide there are still plenty of guides to get information from. Desktop configuration or ALSA guide or portage being the more interesting ones.
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
http://counter.li.org
------
#emerge -pv solves a lot of questions beforehand
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply!

OK, thanks also for the hints. I will look at those guides.

You mentioned OSS or ALSA, I'm pretty sure I DIDN'T emerge them, so that probably explains the following?

modprobe emu10k1
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_send_sysex_Rfddcbfb3
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_mixer_R7afc9d8a
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_set_instr_Rd85be938
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_ioctl_Rb66d1f67
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_reset_R56504ca2
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_dsp_Rccb71ed9
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol sound_unload_mididev_Ra6bb414c
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_open_Rf6b3a2fb
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_hw_control_Rb14b22cd
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_kill_note_R2aa31695
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_start_note_R9bdaf24d
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_aftertouch_Rf1ea8a20
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_setup_voice_R4ff47e9d
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_dsp_Rcd083b10
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_bender_Rba7dd041
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_load_patch_Rf7426da3
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_controller_R892093e0
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_devs_Rb3ae63d0
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_midi_R92f4c21f
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_mixer_R116b9c84
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol sequencer_init_Rf78f6363
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_panning_Rdb400afa
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_midi_Rfdab6de3
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol midi_synth_close_Rad45df73
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: unresolved symbol sound_alloc_mididev_Rba413f87
/lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.23/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o failed

Also, I have another question; since I have X running now, I assume I must have some generic ATI drivers installed, do I have to remove them or anything before trying to install the Gatos package, or will portage know to do that?

Thanks.
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the highmem support, enable 4GB kernel-space and 4gn user-space virtual memory support in processor type and features in the kernel config and recompile

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You mentioned OSS or ALSA, I'm pretty sure I DIDN'T emerge them, so that probably explains the following?

if you're running a 2.4 kernel, OSS are the drivers included with the kernel and alsa is a newer system that requires a separate installation (emerge alsa-drivers as per the alsa guide)
In the 2.6 kernels ALSA is the new default system, but OSS compatibility is provided for those wanting/requiring it.
I don't have any solution for the errors though, it seems as they're somehow compiled badly. or (a long shot) have you upgraded your gcc between emerge system and the kernel compile?

Quote:
Also, I have another question; since I have X running now, I assume I must have some generic ATI drivers installed, do I have to remove them or anything before trying to install the Gatos package, or will portage know to do that?

The drivers should install fine side by side. You will have to modify your XFree configuration a bit to switch between drivers

I would like to warn though.
Is that radeon an old Radeon VE/QY TV all-in wonder thing (R100 chipset)?
If so, i had the exact same card and gave it away a few months back because of driver nightmares. The ATI drivers don't support the R100 (oldest) chipsets AFAIK
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
------
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it seems as they're [alsa] somehow compiled badly. or (a long shot) have you upgraded your gcc between emerge system and the kernel compile?

I don't think so, no... If you have to specifically request that GCC be updated, then no for sure.

I've read the ALSA instalation guide and followed it our or five times, and I still get similar errors. I don't know how to go about this...

As for the ATI card, well, I don't think it is the model you mentioned, but it is an older (circa 2001) card, is there a way to find out what chipset is in it?

Also, for the ATI drivers, I may be a total noob for asking, but how can both accelerated and non-acceleraed drivers co-exist? And why ould you want to keep the non-accelerated ones on your system if you can run the accelerated ones?

I'm sorry if it took me a while to get back to you on this, my original post had been in the "Instaling" category, and I was receiving notifications every time someone responded, but the notification mechanism seems to stop when a post is moved.

Thank you just the same for helping me. I'm sure it's a very trivial thing that is wrong on my end, but I am sill catching on...

thanks.
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't surprise me if it's that card, mine was from those days too. It pretty much IS the all in wonder AGP from those days.

It's pretty huge and has a cooling-wafer on it, IIRC it was a red card.

you could cat /proc/pci to see how it is identified exactly

Quote:
but the notification mechanism seems to stop when a post is moved.

If you had one notification, you won't get any new ones until you visited the post again.

for the errors with your modules, I would try recompiling the kernel, modutils and alsa, maybe in that order. (I am not offering solutions here, just possible steps i might take)
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
------
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: