Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
make error during bootstrap.sh
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tijl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: make error during bootstrap.sh Reply with quote

Hi,

yesterday I decided to try gentoo on my (old) pentium 200Mhz, but after 8 hours of compiling make stopt while he was compiling the gcc for the second time. Unfortunatly I don't have the command that caused the error, all I have is the usual 'Leaving directory' message.

Yesterday evening I restarted bootstrap.sh. The last thing I saw he was doing before I slept was the compilation of glibc. But when I woke up this morning, make stopt again: this time during the compilation of binutils. (I pasted the complete error below)

Does anyone know what went wrong and how I can fix this??

Thanks,
Tijl

<gcc error>
make[3]: Leave directory '/var/temp/portage/gcc-2.95.3-r7/work/gcc-2.95.3/i586-pc-linux-gnu/libf2c'
make[2]: Leave directory '/var/temp/portage/gcc-2.95.3-r7/work/gcc-2.95.3/i586-pc-linux-gnu/libf2c'
make[1]: Leave directory '/var/temp/portage/gcc-2.95.3-r7/work/gcc-2.95.3'
make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully
!!! Function src_compile, Line 33, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-2.95.3-r7.ebuild .
</gcc error>

<binutils error>
bucomm.o: in function 'make_tempname':
bucomm.o(.text+0.161): the use of 'mktemp' is dangerous, better use 'mkstemp' creating objdump
gcc -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -march=i568 -O3 -pipo -o .libs/strip-new objcoppy.o is-strip.o rename.o rddbg.o debug.o stabs.o ieee.o rdcoff.o wrstabs.o bucomm.o version.o filemode.o ../bfd/.libs/libbfd.so -L/var/tmp/portage/binutils-2.11.92.0.11.3-r2/work/binutils-2.11.92.0.11.3/libiberty/pic -liberty ../liberty/liberty.a -ldl
bucomm.o: In function 'make_tempname':
bucomm.o(.text+0.161): the use of 'mktemp' is dangerous, better use 'mkstemp' creating strip-new
make[3]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/binutils-2.11.92.0.11.3-r2/work/binutils-2.11.92.0.11.3/binutils'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/binutils-2.11.92.0.11.3-r2/work/binutils-2.11.92.0.11.3/binutils'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/binutils-2.11.92.0.11.3-r2/work/binutils-2.11.92.0.11.3/binutils'

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully
!!! Function src_compile, Line -6, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on '/usr/portage/sys-devel/binutils/binutils-2.11.92.0.11.3-r2.ebuild
</binutils error>
sgt_nikon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: same deal Reply with quote

I have a P200 MMX and am having the same problem. I have 64MB of ram and 512MB swap space.

I've also had problems with gentoo before on older machines, like a P75 with 16MB of ram.

Orginally I installed gentoo using another faster machine and then just swapped the HD to the P200. It seemed to work for a while but when trying to get Apache, PHP and MySQL running I was seeing an Illegal Instruction Error in my Apache logs. I decided to try to re-install on the P200 itself and now no dice.

-Todd
Tijl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: problem solved Reply with quote

I restarted bootstrap.sh (for the third time) and now the problem seems to be solved. :)
Strange

Tijl
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do anything differently on the third try ?
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem on a few builds I've done the past two days - all on 64 meg machines. Running emerges multiple times eventually clears the problem with no other changes on my part. Not sure what's up, unless there's been a recent change in the portage tree which causes some errors on low memory machines.

RagManX
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RagManX wrote:
I've had the same problem on a few builds I've done the past two days - all on 64 meg machines. Running emerges multiple times eventually clears the problem with no other changes on my part. Not sure what's up, unless there's been a recent change in the portage tree which causes some errors on low memory machines.

RagManX

Low memory and or swap is what I was thinking also.
Tijl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
Did you do anything differently on the third try ?

No,
I didn't

Tijl
slikdigit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the man pages for mktemp() and mkstemp() the reason for the warning is appearant. mktemp doesn't create a file, just another filename, allowing (potentially) someone else to create the file and cuase a 'race' type situations, where things might work or not depending on the timing. mkstemp() actually makes the file itself, eliminating this problem.
Perhaps the issue with slower machines is this race condition? that would explain 'randomness' in the symptom.
zioponics
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Same kind of problems here ............ Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to install Gentoo on a Athlon 1GHz with 224 MB of RAM and a big Swap of 1,5 GB.

With

Code:
CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon -Os -pipe"

or

Code:
CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon -O2 -pipe"

During the bootstrap the compilation of binutils fails in the same way.

Yesterday I was on a Athlon-XP 2800+ with 1GB RAM and 1GB swap. I wanted to build an UML Gentoo filesystem, but the bootstrap failed at the compiling of binutils!!!???

Code:
CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe"

I'm not sure of what is going on... On the Athlon-XP Gentoo is running and was re-installed not so long ago.
I was also thinking about memory problems on the Athlon, but it can't be memory problems on the Athlon-XP...

Sorry to bring some more confusion,
Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: