Latest wine totally broken
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Latest wine totally broken Reply with quote

I recently emerged the latest wine snapshot (20031118) and it's completely broken. Usually with wine I can at least get one or two simple windows applications running, but I can't get a single program to run. Occassionally when running an installer a window will appear, but it's badly distorted (usually with garbage characters displayed where text should be), the window is oversized (scrolls off my screen in 2 directions) and it either hangs or crashes into the wine debugger after a few seconds.

I'm using the 2.6 kernel (could this be part of it?), GNOME desktop on an Athlon XP. (CFLAGS = "-O3 -march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse -pipe")

It's worth mentioning I guess that I also have Crossover Office 2 installed, which works much better with most things I've tried (even though they're unsupported apps).
Dracnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally compile wine by hand using the instructions from http://www.frankscorner.org. at Winehq.com the latest version is Wine 20031212. I'm running warcraft 3 with the latest version, so it seems to be working OK.
bk0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...so I downloaded the latest wine snapshot and installed manually. It was still broken, so after some fooling around I cleared out my ~/.fonts/ directory and magically wine worked (well, as well as wine ever has...).

Interesting.

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: