View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aderio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Mozilla and a Website Reply with quote

Can anyone help with this little problem which has been iritating me for some time. When I use Mozilla (all conceivable user options and plugins have been tried / used) to open the website http://www.odeon.co.uk/ it fails at page 2 where you should be offered a series of drop-down menu's to book a ticket on-line. This is a cross platform problem. However the site works fine with IExplore, Opera etc. Its not a show stopper, but, I'm intrigued.

Any ideas? Geoff
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it in konqueror and it worked slightly better but not in any useable way. guess both mozilla and konqueror need to fix their javascript support
hanta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angrybob wrote:
I tried it in konqueror and it worked slightly better but not in any useable way. guess both mozilla and konqueror need to fix their javascript support

I guess certain web-sites need to fix their code to follow the standards. I see no reason for standard compliant browsers to support non-standard crappy code just because one company wants to use it.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderio wrote:
Any ideas? Geoff

Other than complain to the webmaster to fix his standards incompliant website, you'll simply have to use Opera. That is the only realistic solution.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
aderio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So: to summerise the site is not following the W3C standards in respect to Javascript, therefore it dont work with Mozilla. Therefore I'll complain and /or go to UCI instead of the Odeon to watch The 3 Towers.

Shame they didnt use the weasle words "site works best (works only) with IExplore" would have saved me some head scratching.

Thanks for the help Geoff
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanta wrote:
Angrybob wrote:

I guess certain web-sites need to fix their code to follow the standards. I see no reason for standard compliant browsers to support non-standard crappy code just because one company wants to use it.

Its the sad reality of being a linux/mozilla user. Mozilla is 99% standards compilant allready, the work they do now is emulating IE's bugs so most webpages actually work. :cry:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: