Direct CD Printing - Epson 950/960
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisCol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Direct CD Printing - Epson 950/960 Reply with quote

I remember reading somewhere on this gentoo site that the oficial gentoo CD's are printed with an Epson 950/960 and gimp-print.

I was wondering if someone could give me some info on how this is done. I have the printer (obviously...) and the CD tray adapter, but I didn't think that the gimp-print drivers supported this, only drawing paper from the tray or the roll - not the front where the CD would have to come from...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
ChrisCol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? The url of the page is:

http://store.gentoo.org/

Quote:

Quote:
Constant innovation! In the beginning, our CD artwork was designed in Photoshop and printed on a Macintosh, because Macintosh and Windows were the only officially-supported operating systems for direct CD printing. But we didn't let that stop us. Within a short while, we were able to switch our CD printing over to Gentoo Linux and gimp-print -- even though gimp-print did not officially support printing to CD. The results were phenomenal -- better print quality than Macintosh, and print speed dramatically improved!

Just recently, we've created a highly-optimized color profile for the Epson Stylus Photo 960 printer that's used to print our CDs. The results are an order of magnitude better than what is possible on Windows or Macintosh with the standard Epson drivers.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious about this as well. I went browsing the Gentoo store and discovered.

I had no idea that anyone made printable cd-r media. or printers that printed to them

Who makes the best printable blanks cds? I read that Memorex has an obnoxious logo that peeks thru the printing.

anyone?
ChrisCol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discovered that the unstable branch of gimp-print (4.3.25) supports this, as well as much more accurate roll cutting.

I believe that the CD printing is still in development though as the positioning of the CD image was about 2cm out on my test of this, though I have not played around to see if this can be easilly fixed yet....

So still none the wiser on how it acomplised on the Gentoo CD's...
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this CD template page:
http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/cd_template.htm

Now we just need to convert the PDFs to PNG (or similiar). First make sure you have ImageMagick installed.
Code:
emerge -upv media-gfx/imagemagick

Now use ImageMagick to convert the PDF you downloaded to a letter sized PNG. For example:
Code:
convert -page Letter OL5075.pdf OL5075.png

Now you have a nice gimp-editable PNG. Anyone know how to print this and make sure it prints full size?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: