My Gentoo installation is getting messy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: My Gentoo installation is getting messy Reply with quote

Can't do an emerge -up world, qt merge crashes (gcc segfaults), artsd merge can't find the src file even though it has downloaded it. Just thinking it's time to move on to another distro, I really can't be bothered surfing for answers to such problems these days.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My Gentoo installation is getting messy Reply with quote

gilesjuk wrote:
Can't do an emerge -up world, qt merge crashes (gcc segfaults), artsd merge can't find the src file even though it has downloaded it. Just thinking it's time to move on to another distro, I really can't be bothered surfing for answers to such problems these days.

Sounds like you've made up your mind; you've given us absolutely no information about your installation, or what happens when you try to do an emerge -up world, so I can't think that you want help.

Just for giggles, how long has it been since you fsck'ed your filesystems? :D
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My Gentoo installation is getting messy Reply with quote

regeya wrote:

Sounds like you've made up your mind; you've given us absolutely no information about your installation, or what happens when you try to do an emerge -up world, so I can't think that you want help.

No corruption AFAIK it must have fsck'ed a day ago, this post isn't really a cry for help as such, just a discussion really. I installed SuSe on my laptop and as much as I hate RPM and more commercial vendors it does run remarkably well.

My installation is pretty standard, very conservative make.conf
MaineZJ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't update qt on my machine, and have not tried updating artsd this morning, but I'm not giving up on it that easy. You do that, you might as well not use computers at all.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My Gentoo installation is getting messy Reply with quote

gilesjuk wrote:

Is this seriously a reason to give up on Gentoo? I am genuinely curious. Back when I used windows, I had to reformat at least every six months. When I switched to Redhat, I had to reinstall at least once a year. On Gentoo, I have never needed to reinstall. I have had tons of problems like you described, but if i either (a) wait a while or (b) submit a bug report and figure out the root cause of the problem, they are always fixable.

That is what makes Gentoo great to me (along with the portage's ease of installing new packages) - problems get worked out, and I have never, ever heard someone suggest reinstalling from scratch as a solution to a problem.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying you screwed up your installation, but when I screwed mine up last week, I didn't give up and switch to another distro. I just spent about five minutes cursing, told my fiancee that I fucked up the computer, grabbed my Knoppix disk, and installed within Knoppix from a stage 1 tarball. I kept Knoppix up until I had a good desktop installation, and then booted Gentoo and fiddled with drivers for 20 minutes. Why quit just because the going got a bit rough?
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: My Gentoo installation is getting messy Reply with quote

gilesjuk wrote:
regeya wrote:

No corruption AFAIK it must have fsck'ed a day ago, this post isn't really a cry for help as such, just a discussion really. I installed SuSe on my laptop and as much as I hate RPM and more commercial vendors it does run remarkably well.

My installation is pretty standard, very conservative make.conf

Well, if you've run out of time to mess with your Gentoo box, I'm told SuSE is a good choice, yeah. Before Redhat went for-pay-only-stable, I would have recommended that, too. Keep in mind, of course, that you'll run into weird problems no matter what system you use :D but hopefully you'll have a system that's relatively maintenance-free. The last non-Gentoo Linux system I had installed at home was Debian (a mix of Stable, Testing, and Unstable; thank goodness for Apt and pinning!) and I ended up with a setup in the end that was more or less like the Gentoo installation I have now. It took less time to install, yeah, but it took more time to set up. YMMV.

I can't recommend Macintosh/OS X as many burned-out geeks do because I've spent the better part of a day tweaking the hell out of an OS X Server box. It was a PITA, but well worth it. :D Those days of running FreeBSD at home are finally paying off! :lol:
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: My Gentoo installation is getting messy Reply with quote

gilesjuk wrote:
Just thinking it's time to move on to another distro, I really can't be bothered surfing for answers to such problems these days.

That won't solve your problem. If you switch distributions each time something goes wrong, you'll be doing that for quite some time, until you hit Windows which you can easily reinstall after each problem you may be facing.

To solve this, you'd need some patience, like Stormy hinted. Have you updated your system lately? Try doing a deep merge for system and then on world.

You might also be interested in the output of dep-clean; check dep-clean -R in particular, it lists packages which are no longer in portage. If there's a problem running dep-clean, just unmerge all offending packages and try again. This way you'll get your system back up to date. If you dep-clean before deep emerging packages, you can easily eliminate programs you no longer use.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the tears, breaking and trying to fix it is the fun part of gentoo and linux as a whole, or am i just weird. Reason i run the most unstable packages i can get i want to see it break and try and fix or see how to fix it, in the whole it helps everyone but anyway thats rambling here. ive screwed my gentoo installs up *lost half of my / haha* but dont give up, seriously shout alot and scream at the pc but its worth it :)

btw are you running ~x86?
Plain-old-Jeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had probs with QT as well or more to the point arts I soon found out that you couldn't install arts and thus xine/mplayer with the -QT use flag I wonder if it wouldn't help fix your problems? I know your not asking for help but it seems rather silly that your going to give up because of a few simple problems. I know I would still be using Windows for non-gaming tasks if I had taken that attitude towards Linux :o.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: