View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Mouse Wheel Odd Behavior Reply with quote

I've been using wheel mice for several years on several gentoo boxes, and, this is the first time this has ever happened to me... any help in figuring it out would be very much appreciated...

I have a gentoo workstation that I just reinstalled. Before I did so, it was working fine. Had gnome 2.4 on it, had a Logitech Optical wheelmouse on it (nothing fancy). Worked great.

I reinstalled it from the packages dir on another workstation (I use -march=i686 and almost identical USE flags, and it's a dual athlon mp 2400, this is a P3 1GHz). The reason for reinstall was that I upgraded the HD, added encryption to it. I also changed mice (though this isn't the reason for reinstall)... It's using a Logitech Dual Optical mouse now...

After installing X, Gnome 2.4.2, and my usual applications, I noticed something odd... The mouse wheel is not behaving properly... Scrolling down works fine. Scrolling up opens the right click menu. It does this in all applications, the desktop, everywhere. This mouse works fine on another gentoo box (also running gnome 2.4). Another mouse has the same problems on this box. It's a config issue or something local to this box, as best as I can figure.

I use Sawfish instead of Metacity, and not just on this box - on all 3 of my gentoo workstations, including this one before I reinstalled... My X config has the ZAxisMapping option set properly to "4 5". Removing this option still triggers the right menu on moving the wheel up, but stops the scrolling when moving it down.

I've reemerged the following packages in the hopes it helps:
gnome-vfs
gnome-session
gnome-desktop
librep
rep-gtk

Nothing's helped, unfortunatly... So, any suggestions on how to fix my mouse would be much appreciated.
jeff777
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my mousewheel. I couldn`t figue out why it didn`t work. However, I solved it by specifying a different driver in XF86Config. I`m not sure what options you have for drivers but:

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

worked for me.
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm using that already, as well as the ZAxisMapping option... It's only half the wheel that doesn't seem to work...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: