View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim77
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Don't want embedded view in nautilus! Reply with quote

Hi,

Nautilus opens documents like pdfs, pictures,... embedded when I do a doubleclick. But I want gpdf, eog,... to open standalone (not within nautilus). Is there a way to achieve this?
esammer
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome has a few defaults for how documents are viewed in Nautilus (display as view, display as file, etc.). It should be somewhere in the desktop settings in your Gnome menu on the panel.

There's also a small tool to set up handlers for different file types. Right click on the file in Nautilus and edit the handlers (IIRC).

HTH.
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open nautilus and right click on the file type which you wish to change. A menu pops up and there you select Open With-->Other Application. This brings up a new window, at the top of this window you will see the applications associated with this file(MIME) type. Highlight the prefered application-immediately under this section you will see the name of the application and under it you will see text stating that status regarding the application as regards the context menu. For example If I click on a a word document Abiword and Openoffice.org are listed at the top, if I highlight OpenOffice.org the section underneath reads:
Quote:

OpenOffice.org
is in the menu for "Microsoft Word document" items.

Net to this text there is a button labeled "modify". If you click on this button another window pops up and you can select from five options:
Quote:

Include in the menu for "your filetype(MIME) document" items
Use as default for "your filetype(MIME)" items
Include in the menu for "documentname" only
Use as default for "documentname" only
Don't include in the menu for " your filetype(MIME)document" items

In your case you are selecting "PDF document" fileytpe(MIME), you will probably see
Quote:

Adobe Acorbat Reader
ggv
GNOME PDF Reader
gv
xpdf

So highlight "Adobe Acrobat Reader"
then click on the "modify" button

select which one you wish -which in this case is :
Quote:
Use as default for "PDF document" items

and then click the button labeled "OK", upon doing so this window closes and you return to it's parent window- now click on the button labeled "Choose"- this close this window and launches the application you selected to open the document you clicked on in Nautilus. The next time you double click on this file(MIME) type[icon] in Nautilus your document will be opened inthe application you have chosen. These settings are written in a file named
~/.gome/mime-info/user.keys
Tim77
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
then click on the "modify" button

That's it. I always clicked "OK" and wondered why the changes had no effect. God, I didn't know I am THAT supid! 8O

Thank you both for your help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: