Gentoo Crashes Requiring Hard Reboot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCScoobyRS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Crashes Requiring Hard Reboot Reply with quote

Ever since I installed Gentoo about 4 months ago, intermittenly, my system will just freeze and become unresponsive requireing a hard reboot. There is no pattern to it so I'm unsure what could be the problem. I have an NVidia TNT RIVA, it's an old HP Pavilion 8590C, and I followed the install docs to install the whole system, including the video card. Has anyone else had this type of problem and if so, have you fixed it? Could someone give me some ideas to look at as I'm out of mine. Thanks, Jeremy
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have ACPI support compiled in? My old box used to have problems like that, and it ended up being problems with ACPI, so I just turned it off. Not the same hardware as you though. Might be something to look at though.
JCScoobyRS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already turned that off. It seemed to help but it still happens...
mhodak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disabling agp, if you use it.
Also, I once had similar problem caused by faulty memory. Running memtest to check it can't hurt.
converter
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the keyboard indicator LEDs begin flashing off/on in unison when this problem occurs? If so, you're experiencing a Machine Check Exception (which as far as I can tell is always a hardware failure), which should be logged.
JCScoobyRS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. The only way the lights flash is if I hit the "Tab/Num/Scroll" lock buttons. Those actually work but the system is hosed to it doesn't respond. Thanks for the idea, Jeremy
_dan_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: any news on this? Reply with quote

i think i have exact the same problem ...

it just freezes and i can't do anything,

first i thougt it's because of my aggressive compiler flags but then i used only

-O2 -march=pentium4-fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops
which realy should run but it doesn't :(
finaly i used a stage3-version for pentium4.

I took me about 5 try's to get a running system, and it even crashed while no xserver was installed on emerging things ( most likely when i tried to run 2 emerges on different consoles ( so i didn't do this anymore).

the logfiles also don't tell me anything spezial. disabling apm, agp, apic, acpi or dma ( i thougt it's may be a problem of the harddisk) . but the system just froze without any message.

WindowsXP, 2000 and freeBSD is running on this machine absolutley stable, i'm realy at the end of my wisdom :(

btw.. is there a documentation for the grp installation? i realy want a gentoo ( don't like another linux/unix:

suse: because i had to use it at my old job and was not satisfied with it
red-hat: was not as bad as suse but not my thing - build a clusterdistribution with it
debian: you like it or you don't like it, i like it, but i'm more used to gentoo
behive: too much work, it's a gentoo without emerge ;)
freebsd: winex binary isn't working :( so i have to keep windows alive

/* EDIT: found it, it's been a while since i read the installationmanual from the very beginning ;) . i think a deserved a rtfm in this point :) */

i had gentoo runing on my old machine and it worked fine.
is there somewhere a doc which describe how the grp installation is working, what i have to download for it, and how it is configured.

thx

edit: i think one thing is there which is a bit strange, i'm not sure but i think eveytime i had such a freeze the network was active ( downloading something, surfing, emerge .... ).

I've heard of kernelfreezes with 2.6 but not that much with 2.4 in the german forum.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: