System hangs at file system init.....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagg0204
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: System hangs at file system init..... Reply with quote

Okay, Im caveing in and going to ask for help. I am a beginner to linux and gentoo specifically. I have gentoo installed, using the grub bootloader. 3 partitions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ext2 - > /boot
swap - > /swap
ext2 -> /

It looks like the kernel is loading but when it gets to the point where the filesystem init's its dies with the following messages.

modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/SWAP
modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/ROOT
fsck.ext2 No such file or directory while trying to open......blah blag

/dev/root: The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.

Filesystem could not be fixed !!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then it hangs. Im lost this is the 8the time ive installed gentoo thinking it was something i messed up. I followed the installation instructions for a stage3 install on the homepage to the letter. I have used my own kernels and genkernel. I am at a loss. I really like gentoo and want to keep working with it if anyone has some ideas I sure would appreciate it.
jwells
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: System hangs at file system init..... Reply with quote

flagg0204 wrote:

It looks like the kernel is loading but when it gets to the point where the filesystem init's its dies with the following messages.

modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/SWAP
modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/ROOT
fsck.ext2 No such file or directory while trying to open......blah blag

you need to edit /etc/fstab and replace "SWAP" and "ROOT" with the partition names, e.g. /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: