Questions about openMosix clustering
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Questions about openMosix clustering Reply with quote

I've got 2 linux boxes at my school, a G3 and a P2 451 MHz. We're planning to get another P2 this week.

I want to cluster these boxes, but I have a couple questions:
Is that G3 going to cause problems when mixed with x86?
Each box has its own identity on the network (samba and hostname). When they cluster, will those seperate identities vanish into a single cluster, or can they still look like individual boxes over the network?
When clustered, do they only share CPU power? What is shared in the /mfs directory?
How well does the kernel work in normal running if you're not running the cluster daemon? Basically, how is it for regular use?
Can I SSH from one box to the other when they're clustered? Because one is set up headless, so I need to SSH to it to do anything.

Thanks a lot.
drdabbles
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about openMosix clustering Reply with quote

Promit wrote:

Is that G3 going to cause problems when mixed with x86?

Not really. Why? Well, because no arch other than IA32 (x86) is actually supported by openMOSIX. Bummer, eh?

Promit wrote:

Each box has its own identity on the network (samba and hostname). When they cluster, will those seperate identities vanish into a single cluster, or can they still look like individual boxes over the network?
When clustered, do they only share CPU power?

Once you get a "cluster" up and running, you can access each system individually, yes. What the "clustering" does is simply offload tasks to another machine when it's busy. So, you can surf your samba shares to your heart's content.

Promit wrote:

What is shared in the /mfs directory?
How well does the kernel work in normal running if you're not running the cluster daemon? Basically, how is it for regular use?

I'm not actually running a cluster right now, but from the openMOSIX site, it would seem that the /mfs directory would be the root of the "MOSIX File System", which is a filesystem that allows each node in a cluster to access each other node's files, etc. Basically, a computer can't compute without access to data.

Promit wrote:

Can I SSH from one box to the other when they're clustered? Because one is set up headless, so I need to SSH to it to do anything.

Same as above. Each machine is still an individual machine, so you can SSH all you like.

Promit wrote:

Thanks a lot.

Oh, no. Thank YOU. Hope this helps.

P.S. My minions are strong and will destroy you

Debate, but don't flame
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: