fstab help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: fstab help Reply with quote

Hello,

Recently got my memory stick (camera) to work on gentoo.
I added some enteries given to me into fstab so a non root user can mount the drive etc.. it all works fine.

However could someone provide me the fstab options in general and their meaning.
ie, when I mount the drive from the terminal gnome adds a icon on the desktop, then I can right click and unmount etc.. doesn't happen on my cdroms.

Code:
/dev/sda1               /mnt/sonycam    vfat            noauto,user,umask=0077  0 0

above is the line for memory stick

I assume, noauto means don't mount at boot... whats the others, and what other other options that could go here?
superurban
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

the first column is the device you want to mount. 2nd col is the mounpoint, 3rd is the filesystem of your device (may be AUTO, reiferfs, ext2, iso9660 and so on.), the 4th col list the mount-options. here, you have noauto=don't mount automatically on boot, user=unprivileges users can mount device, umask=0777=how to set rights on files on that device (check man umask for further details). the last 2 columns regard to backup and to checking to FS after a crash.

please see man mount for lotsa more options here...

cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: