Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help! Install succeeds but reboot fails (grub then reset!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eXess
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Help! Install succeeds but reboot fails (grub then reset!) Reply with quote

I did install everything correctly I swear. This is not the first Gentoo Linux I'm installing. The only odd thing with this system is that I could umount /mnt/gentoo at the end of install (device was busy). Nevermind that, I reset.

Then I get the GRUB splash screen, select my config, hit enter and... the computer resets!!! Booting is impossible. Help! What did I do wrong? Should I post my grub.conf or something? Please help, someone...
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting your grub.conf file would be helpful, as well as how your partitions is setup probably. We need alittle more information to be able to help.
eXess
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grub.conf wrote:
timeout 30
default 0
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Linux-2.4.22-Gentoo-r6
root (hd0,0)
kernel= (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.22 root /dev/hda3

make.conf wrote:
USE="apache2 berkdb crypt curl gd icc imap innodb ldap libwww mysql postregs python samba ssl tcpd -usb xml xml2 x86 mmx sse"
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium-mmx -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS$="{CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"

I omitted comments. Splasimage loads correctly, (hd0,0) is really my /boot partition (ext2, hda1). I thought it might be a kernel problem, but I double-checked menuconfig and the processor type is correctly set to Pentium-MMX (GCC>3.1). I checked GCC version before compiling and it's really 3.2.3. And /dev/hda3 is really my / partition (ext3). I tried replacing the root argument in the kernel line of grub.conf with root=(hd0,0), and it changes absolutely nothing. Maybe I should try genkernel...

Last edited by eXess on Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
KCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having this same exact trouble, both with LILO and GRUB. The selection/splash screen comes up fine, but when I select Gentoo, the system either locks up or resets. My partitions are the same as in the docs, except the /boot partition and swap space are on /dev/hdb instead. The partition numbers, coincidentally, are the same:
Code:
/dev/hdb1 - /boot
/dev/hdb2 - swap
/dev/hda3 - /

I'm attempting genkernel now, but it's taking forever to compile the modules.

EDIT:
But as a side note to eXess, if you're using a Pentium-MMX, I don't think the i686 target will work. The i686 is a Pentium Pro, which is a step above a Pentium (with or without MMX). The Pentium Pro lacks MMX instructions, but has stuff that no Pentium-class CPU, I believe, has (one thing of which is the cmov instruction, but no doubt some other things). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
eXess
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. The i686 line was a typo. But I'll try to use genkernel tonight, just in case... The fellow should figure out all hardware issues by itself, I guess [edit: but it won't figure out my ISA D-Link Ethernet card, though, I hope modules-update will work nevertheless...).

I would be really angry if it turned out impossible to install Gentoo on this machine. It has run Red Hat 7.3 for over a year without problems, and I decided to reinstall it because Red Hat turned commercial and because Gentoo rulez (supposedly...)
KCat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, using genkernel did the trick for me. Gentoo finally boots all by itself (though I get some warning when booting about about modules for USB devices, it starts up fine). Though now I'm having problems with emerge not install all required dependancies. I did 'emerge --usepkg kde', and kde wouldn't work unless I also emerged libart_lgpl and fam-oss (the second being a real bitch to find out was what I needed). Konquerer throws out errors about missing files when I try to run it, too. I alsp tried emerging gaim, and it's missing 'libpspell.so.15'. WTH?
eXess
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, genkernel also did the trick for me. And now I think my problem was because I did not make a make dep && makeclean bzImage etc. so I guess something was still stuck to beleiving about the Pentium3 thing...

About your usb-modules problems, try removing them from your modules-autoload then running modules-update (use lsmod to figure out exactly what you need and don't). Also maybe pass a "nousb" argument to your kernel line in grub...

Problem solved, as far as I'm concerned. Thx all ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: