Installing Gentoo period..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_crash_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo period.. Reply with quote

I have downloaded nearly every set of Gentoo installation CDs, and tried them all on several different machines. They all bomb out and don't work. They boot ok, and when you expect it to continue on to the installation, it doesn't. I try and read the hard link in the root dir to the install.txt, and that doesn't exsist so I can't.
I have tried stages 1-3 to no avail, and yes I am aware of the differences between them. I am at a COMPLETE loss, is the current realse just plain broke?

(Bush is an idiot, the whitehouse is for sale!)
Http://geocities.com/joshmia2001/
DopeGhoti
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where, exactly, does the install process 'bomb out'? Do you have any error messages that are being given to you at any point?
_crash_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: There aren't any error messages.. Reply with quote

There aren't any error messages, it just boots like a normal linux installation, I have tried everything the install doc says and none of it works. Once it boots it's like crusing around a normal linux install. Well, halfway normal install anyway.

DopeGhoti
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installation isn't automated like Red Hat or Mandrake, you know. It drops you at a prompt so that you can get your networking running, or start (say) an SSH server. An excellent guide to walk you though the installation process can be found here.
_crash_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DopeGhoti wrote:
The installation isn't automated like Red Hat or Mandrake, you know. It drops you at a prompt so that you can get your networking running, or start (say) an SSH server. An excellent guide to walk you though the installation process can be found here.

Well from the document I was reading it was a little more user driven than that, while I would love to get a little more in depth with linux, I think I will stick with Fedora for now.
From the reading I had done I was aware if this to some degree and I didn't have a problem with this. However, I have already read the document you posted and everything in that document failed to achive any results. I even tried the 2 cd set with the prebuilt packages and EVERY command in that document fails to execute as the document states. I love to solve hard problems but don't have the time at the moment.

Thanks,

DopeGhoti
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say it fails to run as the document states, what exactly do you mean? I just installed from a stage1 LiveCD over the weekend with very few obstacles, using the instructions from the link in the above posts.

Where does what you are doing deviate from the document, and how, exactly, does it deviate?
_crash_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Ok so I tried even harder and got a-lot farther.. But.... Reply with quote

Ok I got so far, after doing some INTENSE reading and throwing my crap raid card in the trash. (DO NOT BUY A WIN-MODEM LIKE RAID CONTROLLER THEY AREN'T WORTH IT)
I got to the emerge sync command.. That starting doing it's thing.. Then suddenly I got this error message..
hda : lost interrupt
I tried to "gentoo ide=nodma" option and that makes no difference, so I went into BIOS and turned DMA OFF. That doesn't help, I am lost and about to give up once and for all. This makes no sense, Winblows functions just fine with this computer, I just don't get it.
It's a MSI-K7N2-DELTA motherboard. 2 Brandnew 120 Gb seagate hard drives. After turning DMA OFF in the bios the error doesn't take as long to surface. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated considering how far along I am and that I am about to roll back to Fedora and see if that works. My fear is that it is some sort of kernel bug that will follow me no matter what distro I go to.
Thanks,
Joshua McDowell

DopeGhoti wrote:
When you say it fails to run as the document states, what exactly do you mean? I just installed from a stage1 LiveCD over the weekend with very few obstacles, using the instructions from the link in the above posts.

Where does what you are doing deviate from the document, and how, exactly, does it deviate?

lorinton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the installation instructions linked from the gentoo home page very helpful and informative. They walked me through the entire process, my first experience with linux, and into a working system with only one hiccup. I didn't catch that I needed to add the -k option to all the emerge commands so I could use the live CD packages rather than spend days downloading and compiling before I knew that this is what I really wanted to do. :) At no time did they leaving me under the impression that I would be entering a single command and end up working in X. Different motherboard and drive than you, both also working well under that other OS. ;)

Unfortunately, the follow-up documents aren't as helpful as the installation guide. I'm floundering a bit now as I figure out what to install to get a fully functioning desktop system. These forums have been a fantastic aid though!
oops
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, um... I'm doing the 2-live cd one and I followed the guide up to "Now boot your CD, select a kernel..."

boot: gentoo dopcmcia cdcache

"You will then be greeted with another boot screen and progress bar."

And it stops right there. :? There's this pretty boot screen with the gentoo logo and a light blue background and a cute progress bar. The only problem is, the progress bar doesn't progress as the name implies... even after 1 hr... I tried it several times. The second time, I did the same thing. The third time, I pressed enter instead of typing in gentoo dopcmcia cdcache. The fourth time, I did it like the first time but I pressed ESC after 10 mins. The last line that appeared on the screen was:

blk: queue c03bc508, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)

If that helps... :cry: Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

APPEND: see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=125905 for the solution to my problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: