Is gentoo right for me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Is gentoo right for me? Reply with quote

I hope this is the correct forum for my questions:

I want to install Linux on my zt3000 (Pentium-M 1.4G, 512M memory, ATI Radeon 9200), and I need to decide between Gentoo and Libranet (debian + some admin utilities). The things that are most important to me are:

- having a rock solid system, and
- knowing that when I want/need to install an upgrade, that the process is going work right the first time (I don't want to have to spend a lot of time resolving dependncy issues).

I don't need a high performance system and I'm not interested in wringing every last cycle out of the kernel.

Finally, I only have a dialup modem an don't know anyone who would be able to download install files and burn them onto a CD for me. I can't afford to be spending hours upon hours downloading upgrades. The issue of having to download source vs. binary for updates does worry me.

My questions:

1) Is there any reason why I would not want to start with a Stage 3 install? If you recommend a Stage 3 install, which Stage 3 would be best for me?

2) Is having to download update files via a 56k modem burdensome? How much time would be involved to update something like KDE or OpenOffice?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Tom McG.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an old debian user, I can tell you Gentoo is much neater in solving dependencies. Using gentoo stable, you'll both have a solid and up-to-date system (debian's stable would be even more solid, but far away from up-to-date). Updating your system will be somehow painfull with both (every) distro having only a modem. Binary (debian) packages are smaller, but I wouldn't download a kde-update with both ones. There's also an unofficial project providing binary packages for gentoo, too.
Gentoo will be able to update only packages with security problems in the near future, so this could be a compromise.
tcm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
Using gentoo stable, you'll both have a solid and up-to-date system (debian's stable would be even more solid, but far away from up-to-date). Updating your system will be somehow painfull with both (every) distro having only a modem.

Thanks, Earthwings. Which stable (Stage 3) install would you recommend for a Pentium-M system: x86, Pentium 3, or Pentium 4?

I'm anxious to get DSL service, but so far, it's not offered by my local service provider - and I'm reluctant to switch back to BellSouth.

Thanks,
Tom McG.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is gentoo right for me? Reply with quote

tcm wrote:
2) Is having to download update files via a 56k modem burdensome? How much time would be involved to update something like KDE or OpenOffice?

On your machine compiling KDE will take half a day or so. OpenOffice is available as binary ebuild, too.

OpenOffice ~75MB
KDE without i18n, games & toys tarballs ~100MB
KOffice ~10MB

Carlo
thundersteele
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I am using pentium4 flag on P M without problems. Nevertheless there are some people saying that this may cause problems because of the PM based on a P3 and perhaps not supporting some special commands.
As there is no real performance difference between p3 and p4 optimization, you will be safe using pentium 3 stages.
redhook
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcm wrote:
Earthwings wrote:
Using gentoo stable, you'll both have a solid and up-to-date system (debian's stable would be even more solid, but far away from up-to-date). Updating your system will be somehow painfull with both (every) distro having only a modem.

Thanks, Earthwings. Which stable (Stage 3) install would you recommend for a Pentium-M system: x86, Pentium 3, or Pentium 4?

I'm anxious to get DSL service, but so far, it's not offered by my local service provider - and I'm reluctant to switch back to BellSouth.

Thanks,
Tom McG.

Pentium 3 since the Pentium-M is based off the Pentium 3.
evhwg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is gentoo right for me? Reply with quote

are you serious?
i am waiting on my 1.2GHZ cpu to get in to install gentoo and KDE.

Carlo wrote:
tcm wrote:

On your machine compiling KDE will take half a day or so. OpenOffice is available as binary ebuild, too.

OpenOffice ~75MB
KDE without i18n, games & toys tarballs ~100MB
KOffice ~10MB

Carlo

Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is gentoo right for me? Reply with quote

evhwg wrote:
are you serious?
i am waiting on my 1.2GHZ cpu to get in to install gentoo and KDE.

Well, depends on the cpu. With a 1.2 GHz Celeren, Duron or even an Athlon it will take more time, than with a Pentium-M. Also the chosen compiler flags, amount of ram, etc. play a role.
hajk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, with only a 56K dial-up connection, you shouldn't (IMHO) be using Gentoo... Even assuming that you'll do a Stage 3 install from a package CD, updating Portage and downloading new packages will take forever.

You would be better off buying a set of CD's with Debian Sarge and only do security updates; or a recent version of SuSE (you can have my SuSE 9.1 Professional if you're ever in the neighbourhood...).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: