Question on GRP install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGrumpy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Question on GRP install? Reply with quote

I am about to embark again on a Gentoo Install, managed last year to do it but at the time there was an error in the documentation thus you could not install the pre-compiled binaries from the CD eg KDE, Gnome etc etc. Has this been rectified and the documentation is correct as well ? Secondly is it also possible to do an emerge sync, so i can get the latest 2.6.1 kernel for compile. Would doing an emerge sync stop you installing the precompiled KDE from the Cds e.g emerge -k KDE etc . I really cannot have my PC compiling the likes of KDE for a day, the other half would have a fit :)

Ali
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many questions... Why don't you give it a try? Most of them can be answered positively, however. The only thing that may be a problem is the last part. It may be possible to preinstall XFree and a window manager and save some time. However, if you ever want to update your system with
Code:
emerge sync && update -uv world
(as most of us do at least once a week) you will already be in trouble. Updates to existing packages might easily take just as long as the original compilation. Furthermore, this is just what Gentoo is about!

I can only think of two solutions:
    1. Conservation: refrain from updating anything that takes too much time, which is difficult since you cannot easily predict how long it will take
    2. Cross-compilation: use a second PC (identically configured, but it does not have to be in close distance) to prepare a complete installation and somehow transfer the disk images regularly to the first one. Needlessly complex, but theoretically possible
MrGrumpy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would normally err on the side of caution which would be your first point. Not one for updating everything, but say if a new release of say KDE came out I could just emerge that rather than the whole lot, same with Gnome as these are the killers as far as time is concerned. I think i`ll try it again today and try and download the newer kernel.

Ali
langtind
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I did just that... Under the installation, I did an emerge sync, so that I would get the latest kernels. After the installation of the base system, I just copied the GRP files from CD # 2 to the hd. I had to spesify witch ebuild to use, so I didn't get the latest versions of the programs at first. But when I had a working xfree and kde, I just updated during the next night with a emerge world -u

Good luck!

(and sorry for my bad english.... :oops:)
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Question on GRP install? Reply with quote

MrGrumpy wrote:
I am about to embark again on a Gentoo Install, managed last year to do it but at the time there was an error in the documentation thus you could not install the pre-compiled binaries from the CD eg KDE, Gnome etc etc. Has this been rectified and the documentation is correct as well ?

I haven't received any more bugreports on GRP installations for quite some time now (except some invalid ones) so it's safe to say that the documentation is currently OK for GRP.

Quote:

Secondly is it also possible to do an emerge sync, so i can get the latest 2.6.1 kernel for compile.

If you want to persist on using GRP it is a bit more difficult. However, instead of explaining how to do it anyway, why don't you temporarily use an "older" kernel, setup your system (using GRP) and afterwards do an "emerge sync" and download a more recent kernel?
MrGrumpy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep thats what I think I will do, seems easier to get to a finished install.

Ali
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: