Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Making the startup just like on the cd...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Making the startup just like on the cd... Reply with quote

Ive gotten the bootsplash to work, including silent mode with the same startup screens and boot screens as the cd.

The one and last thing I cant seem to mimik is detecting hardware and everything like the cd does (with the rotating \|/- thing that creates a bar knoppix cds do this as well).. I have gotten genkernel to create the kernel and initrd to load the scsi drivers and other drivers including framebuffer support, it tries to load every driver, and steps through a text based STEP 1: bleh cleh, real ugly deal, and no where near as fast.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is regarding configuring a working install I am moving it from the Installing Gentoo forum into Other Things Gentoo.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=100620&highlight=livecd+bootsplash I used this script to help me get it going, i just used the part that includes the copying of the image, since I already had bootsplash configured also, workes like a charm.
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snekiepete wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=100620&highlight=livecd+bootsplash I used this script to help me get it going, i just used the part that includes the copying of the image, since I already had bootsplash configured also, workes like a charm.

Thanks for the reply, but this part I've already got working, it simply required letting genkernal make the initrd, linuxrc, and of course the kernel. Then adding splash=silent to my kernel options.

My question is reguarding the hardware detection phase. With my setup initrd loads, allowing the modules to be loaded. But is no where near as intelligent or fast as the gentoo livecd. The livecd seems to detect the correct hardware then load the drivers, initrd appears to be trying to load every module in hopes of getting one right.

The live cd also has a nice little progress bar (NOT the silent boot splash) that consists of an ascii | (pipe) \ (forward slash) - (dash) and / (back slash) that alternate to form a twirling charecter. It also moves to the right causing the bar behind it to change colors. Boot off your live cd to see what im talking about. After lit finishes it lists the hardware it found and loaded drivers for. Where as initrd has very ugly text describing several stages.
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i see, wouldnt your kernel load faster if you configured it manually?
windex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

I'm not all that concerned with boot speed, as it rarly happens. Im more concerned with supporting almost any hardware without a need for major reconfiguration.

I spent a lot of time last night playing with the live cd, the script is autoconfig located in the /etc/init.d directory. I copied it from the live cd to /etc/init.d and then ran "/etc/init.d/autoconfig start". Immediatly after copying it I began getting a dependency problem and told me to run /bin/depscan.sh, it did nothing but warn me of the dependency problem again. (the problem was with autoconfig and local)

Unfortunatly, I'm having problems of other sorts, ever since installing the nvidia drivers hotplug segfaults (always on sis900.ko) I'm using initrd to load aic7xxx, by using doscsi kernel option (the live cd states using doscsi while booting off the cd will break some network cards (boot off live cd press f2 on gentoo boot screen)

When ever hotplug is started after the system has been running for a while it seg faults while runing the pci script, freezes up using any modual tools (lsmod rmmod insmod etc)

I was board so started reinstalling. The last install wasnt what i wanted anyway, and it dosnt take too long just went from stage one -> three in an hour and some odd minutes =D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: