HowTo: iTunes Music Store file using VideoLan
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skwelch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: HowTo: iTunes Music Store file using VideoLan Reply with quote

This is how I got my gentoo box to play songs I have downloaded onto my OS X powerbook from iTunes music store, its takes a bit of work at the moment, but not too much. You need access to Windows (doesn't have to be same machine).

Anything starting with a * denotes a possible bug in the current CVS that you are working around, and that may not exist by the time you read this.

1. On a windows box, install Apple's iTunes, and authorize by playing a song you have bought from the iTunes music store (iTMS from now on).

2. Download the latest vlc windows nightly from [url] http://vthr.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/build/win32/ [/url]

3. Start vlc on windows, and open a iTMS song. If it plays, you should now have a directory called
Code:
 c:\documents and settings\$USERNAME\Application Data\drms
with a single file in it. If you don't, try to make the directory yourself and repeat. This file is the key vlc needs to decrypt iTMS songs, and is system independent (i.e. it works on any computer under videolan).

4. Make a directory
Code:
~/.drms
on your linux box, and copy the key into it.

5. Get ffmpeg and vlc from their respective CVS archives
Code:
cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous@mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg co ffmpeg
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.videolan.org:/var/cvs/videolan -z3 checkout -P vlc

6. Configure and compile ffmpeg with faac support. You need faad2, faac, and ffmpeg from portage to do this (ffmpeg in portage contains libavcodec, which ffmpeg from CVS needs):
Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge ffmpeg
emerge faad2 faac
cd ffmpeg
./configure --enable-faac --enable-faad
make

7. Configure and compile vlc with faad and ffmpeg-faac support
Code:

cd vlc
./menuconfig

Under Audio Outputs, select ALSA if you use it.
Under Codecs, change the ffmpeg tree to the ffmpeg you just pulled from CVS, and enable faad codec.

Code:
 ./build-vlc

*If your build fails on loadsave.c, comment out this section in vlc/src/playlist/loadsave.c and rerun ./build-vlc, otherwise cvs has been fixed
Code:
        msg_Err( p_playlist , "Could not create playlist file %s"
#ifdef HAVE_ERRNO_H
                 " (%s)", psz_filename, strerror(errno) );
#else
                 , psz_filename );
#endif

*If the build fails on libavcodec or libffmpeg, manually rerun configure and make
Code:

./configure --enable-faad --with-ffmpeg-faac
make

8. Enjoy fair use of your purchase. Either install vlc and ffmpeg using their respective "make install", or run vlc in place so you can keep up with the latest CVS versions and not screw up your system.

Troubleshooting:

Check the output of vlc on the console, and look for anything with "drms" or similar in the message, these errors mean you have not properly copied your key or something else bogus has happened.

Try "vlc -list" to see what modules are found, pay attention to anything with mp4, aac, or aad in it.

Try "vlc -v2" and open up your iTMS song, wade throught the debug output, fix the problems, and please update the thread to help anyone else.
jago25_98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: as an aside... Reply with quote

mplayer can play .m4a files
skwelch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: this is for .m4p files Reply with quote

.m4a files are unencrypted, iTunes makes them when you rip a CD yourself, .m4p files are encrypted, and they are what you get when you buy a song from the iTunes Music Store. AFAIK mplayer can't decrypt the .m4p files (yet).
Ascension
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Just a little note Reply with quote

For the longest time I couldn't get this to work, because vlc kept saying it couldn't find my key file. Well it turns out that it was looking for a keyfile with all capitalized letters in the filename, and the one I got from my windows partition had all lowercase letters. A quick rename solved everything. So if anyone else is getting an error like "drms_init (privs)" then give this fix a shot.

Forgot to mention that the masked version of vlc in portage can play iTMS files now. You just need to place the key file in ~/.drms as skwelch mentioned.

-Robert Frost
Kenadin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out http://playfair.sourceforge.net/
It uses your key to remove the DRM so you can play it in mplayer or whatever.
Angel666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: the catch Reply with quote

Playfair also completely destroys your songs, as well as iTunes, your iPod, and Quicktime.

If i were you, i would stay as far away from Fairplay as possible for now.

Quote:

"according to the SF.net forum for playfair, the 'iTMS DRM stripping tool' destroys your purchased songs: the resulting files crash iTunes, the iPod, and QuickTime."

(from slashdot)
Kenadin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what those people did, but i just copied my purchased songs from my windows computer to my linux box then just used playfair there.
To use playfair you give it a source file and destination file. The source file isn't modified, so unless they gave the same file in each location i don't see how they could mess anything up.

EDIT: I read your post wrong, but anyway, I have never had the listed problems.
outspoken
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to junk on this thread OT, but ive got a question regarding ITMS ans url's. when I visit the following URL:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPublishedPlaylist?id=130359

it just says ITMS not a registered protocol and then i get nothing. ive never been to the apple music store so im not sure what im supposed to see here but according to the person that sent it to me it is just a listing of music tunes.

this is a weekly playlist from a local DJ that plays tunes i enjoy and would very much like to view this URL so that i can keep up with what music he is playing.

thanks!
chrono325
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i have my songs playing fine in VLC, is there any way to get them into XMMS or any other player? I mean, all of the needed info should just be in the libraries, couldn't there just be a plugin for XMMS to play iTMS songs? I like XMMS a lot more than VLC, its library management seems a lot better, plus it is supported under FoxyTunes.

Playing russian roulette with Reiser4 since 9/10/04.
Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4Ghz, NPTL, udev, initng, gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6 with reiser4: How would you like to hardlock today?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: