JFS for boot partition, Grub troubles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OneOfMany
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: JFS for boot partition, Grub troubles Reply with quote

I was trying to use JFS for all my partitions (saw some benchmarks that showed it as the least CPU intensive of the usual filesystems). I formatted the partition as JFS and when I ran grub to setup the MBR it wouldn't let me "setup (hd0)" ("root (hd0,0)" worked fine and showed it as JFS). It would just sit there. Nothing I typed made a difference on the screen, except I could ctrl-c out just fine. I tried this twice thinking I just had a glitch of some sort. Is this a grub issue or is it related to the initial kernel that the live cd uses? I'm using the Gentoo v1.4 Pentium III GRP CD1 for installation.

To make sure this is the problem I'm switching just the boot partition to ext3 and trying again.
paradox508
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was trying to use JFS for all my partitions

Well I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but don't try to use jfs for all. your /boot should ideally be ext2/3. I doubt you will take a performance hit as the only thing on the /boot partition is your boot loader. You can however continue to use JFS for all other file systems on the machine and still benifit from any increase in performance you might get with JFS.

Cheers!
'Dox
OneOfMany
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was my workaround. But I'm wondering if it's a GRUB thing or a Gentoo thing (ie, if the kernel that Gentoo uses for it's first boot was configured differently could this work)?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: