MythTV and Digital Cable
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: MythTV and Digital Cable Reply with quote

I am kinda confused as to whether or not I would be able to use MythTV with my current cable setup. I have charter digital cable and channels range from Channel # 2 to Channel # 675. Now most TV tuner cards I've seen only support 125 channels. However, Ive added up how many channels I actually have and it comes out to 121. Would I still be able to use a tuner card to access all my channels or does the channel number actually have to be below 125 to work with a tv tuner card? Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I don't want to waste the money on a tv tuner if it won't access all my channels. Thanks all.
Sastraxi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But... your digital cable doesn't come on those awful coax cables does it? Well... maybe it does, hmm, I don't really know. But don't you put it into a digital cable box, and then use A/V inputs to hook it up to your TV? If that is the case, you can use whatever tuner card you want, but you'll have to use a changechannel script to actually change the channels on the cable box.
starnix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the signal going from the box to the TV over a regular coaxial cable. Are there any instructions on setting up a channel changing script? Are they included with MythTV? I am not experienced at all with this. Thanks.
jmoeller
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starnix wrote:
I have the signal going from the box to the TV over a regular coaxial cable. Are there any instructions on setting up a channel changing script? Are they included with MythTV? I am not experienced at all with this. Thanks.

See this section in the MythTV manual:
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.2

I dug into it a little bit a while ago and it seems like it's pretty DIY. Good luck. :)
dtessier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you cable box sends the signal to your TV on channel 3 over that coax. That's why you change channels on you cable box, not the TV itself. There are three ways you can typically set this up:

- If you only want to watch TV and/or record manually, you can set up your tuner card to channel 3, and change channels using your digital cable box.
    - If you want to set things up with MythTV, or other similar software, then you'll need some way for your computer to change channels on your cable box for you. That means either a direct serial connection to the box, or an "IRBlaster" which hooks up to your computer's serial port, and can control the cable box through it infrared receiver (basically your computer is emulating a remote control).
    - Finally, if you can live without the channels that are only on digital cable, you should be able to hook up your tuner card to a cable outltet directly and still get regular (analog) cable.

Hope this helps!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: