grub wont boot new kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cotdagoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: grub wont boot new kernel Reply with quote

first time gentoo user, loving it so far. finally got around to updating the kernel, and i cannot get it to boot the new kernel.

using grub:
Code:

default 0
timeout 5

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.20 root=/dev/hda3

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.22
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.22 root=/dev/hda3

copied System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.22
copied bzImage /boot/kernel-2.4.22

seems to boot fine when i select Gentoo Linux 2.4.22, yet when i try uname -a I get:

Linux hardly 2.4.20-gentoo-r6 #1 Thu Jan 15 14:36:24 EST 2004 i586 Pentium MMX GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

when it should be 2.4.22-gentoo-r5

any ideas? any help is much appreciated
_Nomad_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be the EXTRAVERSION in the kernel makefile that ins't set correctly...
Did you build it yourself or use genkernel?
Otherwise I have no idea what could cause it...

Now when you're in the process of updating your kernel I suggest you try the 2.6 tree instead, since it's much quicker on desktop systems...
Try emerge mm-sources and build that one. If uname still shows 2.4.20 then there's something seriously wrong... But give that a try first...
haylocki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try checking your symlink for linux.

type ls -l /usr/src/

and see if linux is actually pointing to your 2.4.22-gentoo-r5 directory, sometimes this doesn't get updated and still points to your old kernel, so typing cd /usr/src/linux takes you to the old kernel when you expect to be in the new kernel tree.

Ian
jasm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have followed the classical procedure for compiling the kernel (cd /usr/src/linux; make ...):
Have you changed the symlink /usr/src/linux to the new kernel sources before building it. If not, chances are you have rebuild your old kernel.

You can also have a look at your modules directory at /lib/modules. There you should find a sub directory for each kernel version you have build.

--
cotdagoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Nomad_ wrote:
It might just be the EXTRAVERSION in the kernel makefile that ins't set correctly...
Did you build it yourself or use genkernel?
Otherwise I have no idea what could cause it...

What is this about EXTRAVERSION in the make file not set correctly? I did emerge gentoo-sources to get the 2.4.22 r5 kernel.

to answer a few more questions:

Code:

hardly grub # ls -al /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           31 Jan 24 07:16 /usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-gentoo-r5

Code:

hardly grub # ls /lib/modules
2.4.20-gentoo-r6  2.4.22-gentoo-r5

I've built many kernels before (just not in gentoo), and built this one. i basically copied my .config file to the new kernel source directory (/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-gentoo-r5/) and did: make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

Quote:

Now when you're in the process of updating your kernel I suggest you try the 2.6 tree instead, since it's much quicker on desktop systems...
Try emerge mm-sources and build that one. If uname still shows 2.4.20 then there's something seriously wrong... But give that a try first...

I've heard updating to a 2.6 kernel can be a lot of work, and that emerge might have problems installing 2.4.x packages with a 2.6 kernel?
cotdagoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm. i just checked my history, and it seems i built the kernel before changing the symbolic link. it's been a while since i used linux actively, and it seems i'm still a bit rusty. trying to rebuild now, and see if that was the culprit.

I really appreciate seeing so many responces to my situation, and people willing to help out.

i'll post again once this is done compiling, sorry if i was wasting anyone's time with this.
cotdagoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your help. my problem *was* due to not changing the symbolic link to the right kernel source. i feel a bit stupid now, but it was pretty late last night when i was working on this, and I guess I overlooked it.

again, thanks for all the quick replys.

cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: