went into basic cd install, encountering problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hahnar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: went into basic cd install, encountering problems Reply with quote

Hello all,

To begin, gentoo seems to be the distro for me. From the moment I came to the website, I knew it. So after reading up on how to approach installation, i chose the basic x86 cd (90 some odd megs). I went ahead and began to install and things were going well got everything paritioned nicely, bootstrap script worked, etc. Then when i got to the kernel, things went wierd. It seems as though when i did emege -k gentoo-sources, it began to download packages, but never downloaded the kernel itself. I don't know quite how to proceed now...any help/direction would be appreciated. by the way, its on this same computer so is there a way i can get back into install or do i get to begin again? Thanks for any help in advance.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you could use this topic: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=125347
Arasi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about gentoo (any many other linux installs) is that you do not need to start from scratch if you had problems, unless it really gets mucked up to the point where it is simplier to restart.

So you should be just fine to restart the boot from either the cd or however you began and then make sure you activate the swap, remount your partitions and switch into the appropriate shell ( all the base instructions from the installation guide) so that your back into a shell with the installation accessible.

Now as for the kernel, well heres the question are you compiling the kernel or using genkernel?

When y ou pull down the sources it pulls the source code you should have a folder /usr/src with files in it after the emerge. ( that'll of course be /usr/src on the /mnt/gentoo mount which should be your root partition for the new install)

Verify if you have anything in there...then the instructions go on about ensuring there is a sym link called linux pointing to the location of the src files for the kernel you plan to use (at least if your using genkernel) otherwise you could just cd into the src kernels directory and begin the make process....but if its your first time at bat you may want to stick with genkernel....I did the first few times, but now I'm on 2.6.1 and I've recompiled too often to try things (and I dont think there is a genkernel script yet ...maybe there is...for 2.6.x)

Arasi
hahnar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help...it seems as though i have things under control for now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: