Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Finished installing. Just noticed I didnt install alsa.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edmz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Finished installing. Just noticed I didnt install alsa. Reply with quote

My insatll is fine other than the fact that I don't have "alsa" in the USE var but instead I have "oss".

I would like to use alsa instead of oss. What should I do ? Will removing "oss" and adding "alsa" to the USE var then:

Code:
emerge sync & emerge system
?

I'm lost here. Thanks in advance for any help.
uglyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
umm in my experience you are better off if you leave oss in the USE and add alsa in addition to it. Alsa has oss emulation so you should leave oss in USE so that programs that have oss capability will be able to use alsa also.

emerge sync downloads the latest portage tree. It is a good thing to do once in a while, but shouldnt have anything to do with this situation. emerge system will just redo the base system, most of which IIRC does not use alsa anyway. You can do something more broad like
Code:

emerge -UD world

but maybe someone else has a better suggestion for what command to rebuild with, there might be a way to target builds that use the alsa use flag. Another option would be just to remerge the things that seem to be lacking their alsa component (such as xmms for examplt). Anything where alsa doesn't work could be fixed by just a simple emerge program name, if alsa is in USE and alsa is installed and configured properly.

later
uglyman
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an excellent document that gives step by step instructions on how to install alsa. At some point you may need to do something like:
Code:
# emerge alsa-driver

but there are other steps involved as well. The link above should help.

In general the USE flags don't affect which packages get emerged with either "emerge system" or "emerge world". Instead, they affect how the packages you choose to emerge get configured. For example the "alsa" USE flag isn't designed to somehow automatically emerge alsa for you. It is designed to tell other packages that they should compile in the hooks to alsa when they get emerged.

HTH
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: