Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't emerge gcc-3.2.3-r3? Do what i did!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopstah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Can't emerge gcc-3.2.3-r3? Do what i did! Reply with quote

Copied from this thread.

OK, I have been struggling with getting my
Code:
emerge -e world
to work for about 5 days now, without success. It would always error out on ttmkfdir or XFree, until I solved that by doing
Code:
source /etc/profile
emerge flex
emerge bison
I'm not sure which one of those actually got my XFree to emerge correctly, but that was hurdle number one.

After having that out of the way, portage was erroring out on gcc version 3.2.3-r3 I scoured the forums and bugzilla and found some tips, but nothing worked. Among them were
Code:
emerge bison
emerge glibc
and then retrying gcc. None of these worked, and my gcc would error out on the same line of the same file every time. The final output was similar to
Code:
!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.2.3-r3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 411, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

I found a tip to add
Code:
 -fforce-addr
to my CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf. I did this, but noticed that portage was still using some very basic CFLAGS, not the ones I had specified. I did some digging and found a line
Code:
strip-flags
in my /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-3.2.3-r3.ebuild file. The comments in the file instructed that this line should be left un-commented, but I wanted my CFLAGS to be used, so I commented this line out.

Now gcc has compiled itself correctly, as well as ttmkfdir and XFree, and I am on step 51 of 300 in my emerge -e world. I'm timing it as well, so this should be interesting. 3 hours down..... who knows how many more to go......

Let me know if this helps anybody out! Gentoo/Linux user for 3 weeks now and one step further from n00b status.
jonas_nilsson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound neat :wink: , I've had some similiar problems myself. I don't want to sound negative, but I just wonder, what could happen when removing that strip-flags line? I mean, the developers have put it there for some reason. Have you experienced any trouble yet?
hopstah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far everything has compiled correctly, or at least it was when i last checked it 3 hours ago. I'm sure that the line has some purpose, as you said, but i'm not sure what it is, and i'm even less sure why removing that line improves the performance of the compilation. give it a try, and i hope it works as well for you!
jonas_nilsson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I hope you will be successful!
I will however not upgrade right now. I was doing it, but when the problems emerged (instead of the ebuild :) ) and I started to dig in the mess, I realized I was just switching from gcc-*-r(n) to gcc-*-r(n+1) where 1<n<10. I won't go through this process until it at least looks like a cool thing to do :D

But I will keep your solution in mind!
taxxman2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks pimp that worked!
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strip-flags unsets $CFLAGS (in a way)

when strip-flags is in an ebuild, then the ebuild will use the cflags provided by the maintainer of the soucecode instead of the cflags you have in your make.conf.

its a REALLY bad idea to remove strip-flags from an ebuild, because if you got some really hardcore-code-killing cflags, and you compile GCC with them (if it completes.), then you will have a b0rked box
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: