Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo 1.4 Installation with 2.6 Kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 1.4 Installation with 2.6 Kernel? Reply with quote

Okay...I would know how to get the kernel v2.6 after the system is installed, but I'm looking to see exactly how I would do it in the middle of the Gentoo 1.4 installation process...

Can anybody give me a specific step by step? Do you just download the 2.6 instead and do everything else exactly the same?

:?:

Thanks in advance!
gebner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo 1.4 Installation with 2.6 Kernel? Reply with quote

Aurora wrote:
Can anybody give me a specific step by step? Do you just download the 2.6 instead and do everything else exactly the same?

Yes, just get an 2.6 install cd and do as outlined in the handbook.
Master_Of_Disaster
l33t
l33t

Location: 15.05072° East, 48.13747° North (aka Mauer), Austria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do emerge development-sources OR gentoo-dev-sources OR mm-sources and proceed with the installation guide.
Xootneg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do as Master or Disater posted, "Just do emerge development-sources OR gentoo-dev-sources OR mm-sources and proceed with the installation guide".

However, I would not use "genkernel" to compile it. Genkernel does a "Make Dep" which is not entirely compatible with the 2.6.x kernel.

After downloading the kernel, I would suggest you copy a working Gentoo 2.4.x ".config" file to the main directory of your 2.6.x file, and then change directories to your new kernel for the rest of the kernel install. Do a "make oldconfig" It will set up your kernel as close as possible to your working 2.4.x kernel. Doing the "make oldconfig" will also ask you questions on your kernel setup, giving you y/n/m options to answer (Pay Close Attention Here). Then you can customize the rest of your kernel with the "make menuconfig" command. When finished with this, do a "make bzImage modules modules_install" command to complie your kernel, and then do a "make install". When done finish the rest of the normal install. Perhaps you already know all of this, but I wanted to make sure you did.

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

I just did the "emerge -k gentoo-dev-sources" and the stuff started scrolling past the screen...

Here's the problem: I kept seeing things such as "modutils-2.4.26" and stuff being emerged...those are still parts of the 2.4 kernel, correct? (btw, modutils-2.4.26 was not the only thing that had the "2.4.26" number in it)

Anybody know why this is happening?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that you aren't using packages from the CDROM. I don't think the dev sources are on the CDROM, but using the -k option will have it look for precompiled packages.

Also, make sure that you emerge rsync first. This will update the database so that portage is aware of the most recent version of every package. Then do an emerge -p gentoo-dev-sources. The output should look like this:
Code:
bash $ emerge -p gentoo-dev-sources

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.1

-p is the 'pretend' option and you can use it to see exactly what would happen if you actually issued the command. So you could do emerge -pk gentoo-dev-sources to see if you were not installing the proper version earlier. Anyhow, just looks like you need to emerge sync and then emerge gentoo-dev-sources.
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...got 2.6.1 to emerge. Now I've set everything up the way I want it in the kernel...

However, while looking through the make help, it doesn't shows a "dep" option...

Now, I was reading about 15 minutes ago how to compile the kernel (and the options that were necessary), but I can't seem to find it...*sigh*

Can someone please enlighten me as to what command I need to run in order to compile the kernel properly?

Thanks!
Master_Of_Disaster
l33t
l33t

Location: 15.05072° East, 48.13747° North (aka Mauer), Austria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as you hopefully can read out of make help, all you need to do to compile the kernel is to type 'make' and 'make modules_install' - that's it. 2.6.x kernels rule!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: