View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davekt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the 'truetype' USE var does is tell the ebuild to install the MS core ttf fonts, in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype. You can install other ttf fonts into that (or any dir you make). Then add the dir to the local.conf and do the 'fc-cache -fv' thing mentioned earlier.

This is all I had to do, but others have obviously had success with the other steps. It's crazy that some methods work for some and not others, it should be a simple and basic thing to get AA fonts working, it's just aggravating.

'truetype' is on by default in the global make settings, so unless the global settings have been changed, or there is a '-truetype' in your make.conf, it should have been used when building X. You can run 'etcat -u xfree' I think to see what vars were set. If you don't have etcat installed then 'emerge gentoolkit' should get it for you.

Check the /etc/fonts/local.conf file to see if the sub-pixel hinting section is uncommented and set to rgb or bgr, whichever you need.

If the X ebuild would also take care of adding the truetype font dir to /etc/fonts/local.conf (or fonts.conf) then I bet most people would have AA fonts working right after emerging X. It would have for me anyway.
dopey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one issue with using NoDDC. Basically, NoDDC tells the driver to ignore the values returned by the monitor (this tends to consist of screen size, and a number of other things). The X server then uses these values to calculate the DPI. Without these values (or with values that aren't sane) the server defaults to 75dpi. On many monitors this ends up making the default font small. Alot of fonts end up looking like crap at 75dpi.

Default DPI on windows is 96. Gnome uses this as a default value as well. Unfortunately, KDE doesn't appear to have any way to override the X server's DPI (I haven't found one), so to deal with 75dpi on KDE you want to pick fonts that actually scale well and use them. Unfortunately, this does exclude many fonts, and it's not a good solution as the font choices don't carry over directly into gtk/gtk2 based apps. The font setting with switch2 isn't perfect either. It only affects certain fonts. I found the best compromise in this situation is to force the X server to 100 dpi with -dpi 100 as an argument to the Xserver. With modern monitors, 75dpi isn't as sane as 100 is.

I've been struggling with getting gtk apps to actually use decent fonts under KDE for the past 6 months or so, and -dpi 100 did more for font quality than anything else I tried.
milkypostman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason your themes don't show up when KDE + GTK apps is because you cannot run 2 X managers at the same time. As an experiment boot up KDE and then try to load 'gnome-settings-daemon' what is controls themes and fonts to gtk apps. If it is not running they all default to the normal which is what you'll see happening. How in my .xinitrc i have added

Code:
gnome-settings-daemon &

but then the only problem with this is that when you run KDE apps you don't get good fonts. Although its tough for me to give up on GTK apps i've pretty much migrated all my use to KDE including konqueror and such. It'd just be nice if these two worlds could just get along.
dopey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup. like you said, the gnome-settings-daemon horks everything. I found that out a while ago when I ran the gnome control-center under KDE and all of the sudden my KDE fonts went wonky.

It is a shame that the two can't use some sort of unified font configuration. with anyluck, this will be one of the things addressed down the road.

for now, i use a local .gtkrc file to handle the fonts under gtk apps and its okay, not great, but okay.
Hackeron
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Font config script Reply with quote

Wrote a script to automate everything in this post, please test it and tell me if you want anything added/changed.

For latest version of script, visit:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=143502

Last edited by Hackeron on Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
mshmsh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. I used a combination of this post and pluto's ideas in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=76503 to set up my fonts. It's all workign well in gnome (am still using xfs).

The one problem that still remains is with apps like Acrobat Reader and xemacs ( guess the non GTK apps) where the fonts for the menubar items are HUGE. Where is a good place to change the settings for that?

Shyam
Sinkster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruedi1_99 wrote:
Do I have to add the line
Code:
<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>

inside the </fontconfig> borders or outside?
Sometimes I get an error message about /etc/fonts/local.conf :oops:

I wondered the same thing even though it seemed that it should go inside <fontconfig>.

So I looked at the script the author made and confirmed that yes, it does go inside <fontconfig> since the script adds everything after the line '-->' in the file.

Btw, thanks for this awesome HOW TO! Helped a ton! :D
binarynova
n00b
n00b

Location: Third planet from a yellow G-class star on the fringes of the Milky Way Galaxy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In case anyone's interested, you need to edit your ~/.thunderbird/default/RANDOM_LETTERS.slt/chrome/

or .phoenix, as necessary to include the followng:

Code:
* {
font-size: 12pt !important;
}

Um.... so, in the chrome directory... what file do we need to edit?

EDIT: Also, I noticed a big problem when I use the, 'Option "NoDDC" "true"'.... after restarting X, my 3d acceleration went poof... bye bye. A quick look at, 'cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log.old | grep "(EE)" showed the following error: fglrx(0): Failed to initialize UMM driver.

Commented out the line, restared my comp (I assume to restart the font server or something, cuz restarting X wasn't enough), and low and behold, my 3d acceleration is back.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up on that.

I think I'll keep mine commented out until I can learn more about what that option does.
regnever
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the instructions and get some apps work.
But I got this problem:

Code:

$ gvim
** (gvim:22465): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Courier New 10
** (gvim:22465): WARNING **: Cannot open fallback font, nothing to do

Code:

$firefox
** (Gecko:22480): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Verdana 10
** (Gecko:22480): WARNING **: Cannot open fallback font, nothing to do

I am new to Gentoo and Linux, anyone has any idea about this?

Many thanks!
Tuan Anh
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, sir. Thank you for taking the time to share this nugget with us.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: