question about Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: question about Gentoo Reply with quote

Im new and now that i have a work-able box I have a question. I noticed that Gentoo is much
faster then other distro's IE: Redhat,Mandrake

When I first installed Gentoo i used a gentoo-source for the kernel.
in reading the section "which source is for you" its says that Gentoo-kernel-source
was compiled for people to be able to listen to music and compile ebuilds at the same time

what excatly did they change that different from the redhat/mandrake kernels thats makes
its so much faster?
ewan.paton
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there basicly one main kernel [1] which all the developers work on and submit patches to, then folk in charge like Linus Torvalds etc decide what they want in this main kernel. sometimes for whatever reason patches arent included and people patch the patches they want into a new kernel like lovesources, i think they can also renice aplications so they get more priority eg X gets processed before samba.

talking about the kernel is perhaps a little disingenuous as though things like the premptable patch can really help desktop interactivity, the real reason your pc feels fast is probably because the others were running every service under the sun while its gentoos philosophy that you should start and run stuff when you need it, whats the point of running webmin if you dont know what it is

[1] mm uses vanilla i think?
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: question about Gentoo Reply with quote

mikecore wrote:
what excatly did they change that different from the redhat/mandrake kernels thats makes its so much faster?

Basically, quite a few patches from the 2.5/2.6/mm series kernels are backported. Nothing more thrilling than that.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see how fast it really can be, emerge mm-sources and use the following option to your kernel line in grub.conf:
elevator=cfq

Erik
Brother Dysk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does that do?
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to do with either the I/O scheduler or the task scheduler. I think its the task scheduler.

Schedulers decide what operation is next to be processed.

But I'm eagerly awaiting ebrostig's explanation, because I could be talking out of my ass and make myself look stupid.
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also don't forget to compile the kernel and the apps that you use most with gcc-3.4
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed0n wrote:
Also don't forget to compile the kernel and the apps that you use most with gcc-3.4

3.4 is out already? Is it stable?
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris27 wrote:
It has to do with either the I/O scheduler or the task scheduler. I think its the task scheduler.

But I'm eagerly awaiting ebrostig's explanation, because I could be talking out of my ass and make myself look stupid.

CFQ stands for completely fair queueing. It applies to I/O scheduling. What it does is make sure that one program can't hog the the I/O busses. Some programs may run slower with this, but the overall effect it has is a much faster desktop.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Eyes wrote:
ed0n wrote:

3.4 is out already? Is it stable?

3.4 has been out for awhile. I've been using it for a month now and haven't seen any major bugs with it. Some programs won't compile becuase they changed the inlining algorithm, and the new algorithm won't inline that function. The main ones that won't compile are QT and Mozilla.
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:
Boris27 wrote:

CFQ stands for completely fair queueing. It applies to I/O scheduling. What it does is make sure that one program can't hog the the I/O busses. Some programs may run slower with this, but the overall effect it has is a much faster desktop.

w00t! The love sources maintainer quoted me! (hehe lol)

Is there any quick guide on what all the I/O schedulers do (and don't) and how they do it? The differences between the anticipatory scheduler and the CFQ scheduler? Are there more schedulers?

Thanks in advance :)
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:
3.4 has been out for awhile. I've been using it for a month now and haven't seen any major bugs with it. Some programs won't compile becuase they changed the inlining algorithm, and the new algorithm won't inline that function. The main ones that won't compile are QT and Mozilla.

I think I'll hold off on moving to 3.4 then, as I use Mozilla Firebird, Mozilla Thunderbird, and build LyX with Qt.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: