Gah, broken... Completely unusable.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenebram
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Gah, broken... Completely unusable. Reply with quote

Bleaugh, all broken now. About six hours ago I was working on my computer, when a few applications randomly closed. I ignored it, but continued working. A short while later, I recieved a message which I failed to write down, but was similar to the message which I'll note shortly, in the terminal I was working in. After recieving that message, most of my apps became unresponsive. Hoping that it was just an X thing, I killed X, only to be presented with an unresponsive machine displaying only a black screen.

I then proceeded to reboot my machine, and everything went normally up until I was presented with a login prompt. Shortly after the login prompt is presented, whether I log in or not, I recieve the following message. The ellipses represent long hex strings that I didn't bother to fully transcribe, but will do so if they turn out to be important.

Code:
hostname login: vs-8030: create_virtual_node: virtual node space consumedkernel BUG at prints.c:334!
invalid operand: 000
CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[<c0221a87>] Tainted: GF
EFLAGS: 00010286
eax:0000003c ebx:e791e400 ecx:00000000 edx:e5bfe000
esi:e49ce000 edi:e4a1fc88 ebp:00000000 esp:e4a1fbac
ds:0018   es:0018    ss:0018
Process nmbd (pid 2364, stackpage=e4a1f000)
Stack: c031ed19  c015a200    c032b460    e4a1fbcc  ...

Call Trace:  [<c021c862>]  ...

Code 0f 0b 4e 01 12 32 32 c0 85 db 68 00 a2 15 c0 74 10 0f b7 43

So... yeah, broken. After this message, the system just sits there completely unresponsive. I am unable to log in via ssh either. I booted to a livecd, and was unable to find anything related to this in any logs. I haven't made much of any changes to my system recently. I'm completely baffled. At this point I'm thinking about tarring my /home to a backup and doing a complete reinstall. This happens with kernels that I know are good and have worked perfectly prior to this point. I built a new kernel and modules from a chrooted environment after booting to a livecd, and that kernel panicked wihle booting, trying to mount tempfs on 05:03, I believe...

Really, anything at all would be helpful. Any thoughts? Requests for more information? I'm not entirely sure what other information would be of use.
deepthought
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will need some more information about your box.

What kernel flavour and version do you use?
What hardware do you have?
Did you change/update/downgrade/<insert favourite action here> anything before this happened?

You might want to search https://bugs.gentoo.org for related issues, as well as the forum.

Regards,
Alexander
Registered Linux User #317705
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: