Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
directory colors. how do i get it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimbim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: directory colors. how do i get it? Reply with quote

Ok. I've searched a lot, and found out that i need to do something with DIRCOLORS and xinitrc and others, but I have no idea what to do. I read that some other distributions already have this, so just use their DIRCOLORS file, but i dont' know how to do this either.

When I first boot into gentoo, I first get the text prompt, and then I start X, or KDE or Gnome or whatever desktop environment. I mostly use Enlightenment (not really, since installing gentoo last week, haven't done much with it).

In the text prompt, right after I boot, if I do ls or ls -la, it will list the contents with different colors for text, directory, links and such. I want this in the xterm or any terminal within enlightenment or kde or whatever. Can someone direct me to some instructions on how to do this?

Thank you!
Valen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure how Gentoo handles this, but what is probably happening is that an alias is being made in /etc/profile or in your .bash_profile/.bashrc. It will look something like this "alias ls='/bin/ls -F --color'", now you can either make your xterm a login shell (run xterm with "xterm -ls") which should process the above files and make the nice alias.

Another option would be to write a simple script which would call that: make a text file in /usr/bin (call it lc or something easy to remember) which contains:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
/bin/ls -F --color

and then make it executable (chmod a+x /usr/bin/lc, or whatever you called it). You will need to be root to write to this directory.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this trhead helps.

This question has been asked many, many times.

Locking.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: