Cross-compiling LiveCD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_accidental
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Cross-compiling LiveCD Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get a x86 live CD, that has distcc, and an appropriate cross-compiler for compiling for a G4 already set up on it?

Or failing that, how do I make my own live CD? I remember seeing something about a tool to do it somewhere...

Also, if anyone is using one or more x86s and distcc to speed up compiling on their mac, have you got any pointers?

(the goal here is to enable me to speed up my gentoo install on an iBook by booting all the other PCs on my network from a liveCD, then spreading the load amongst them)
garn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cross compile on nixel (x86) for cannibal (ibook) with distcc. Installing the cross compiler was a pain until I found cross tool http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/ After installing that I had to run distcc with PATH=/opt/crosstool/powerpc-750-linux-gnu/bin

I didn't set it up on a livecd, I have linux installed on this box already. So I can't help you there. Good luck
the_accidental
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, looks useful. I have linux on my desktop too - so that's no issue, but if I want to harness the power of all my housemate's PCs too then I need liveCDs...
Pylon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have already Gentoo on your x86-system, you could emerge sys-devel/crossdev and install all the crossdev-related tools with the script in it.

But for LiveCDs with distcc or even a crossdev-distcc I have to disappoint you. We are working on a new tool for creating LiveCDs, named catalyst. One of the goals is to create own LiveCDs with customized needs.

I can't tell, if it would provide cross-development from the first release, but I can imagine, that this could be possible. Give us some time for the development ;-)
the_accidental
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i have crosstool compiling as cross compiler for a G4 now...

I'm going to make up a little knoppix liveCD with it on it, (as i can't find an easy way to make a gentoo liveCD, although to be fair i haven't looked very hard) so I should be able to boot it on other networked x86s, run a little script to set the networking up, and away I go.

I could post it online if it's useful to anyone else, although that assumes I get it working :-) (i can't test right now as my iBook's not arrived yet! 3 weeks and waiting...)

Also it will be set up to be pretty specific to my network/gcc version etc. But if it works, i should be able to point others in the right direction...
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need any help, let me know. We have macs, sparc bnoxes, and PCs.
UltraSparc5 440 - sparcy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: