NIC works on LiveCD, not my own kernel, please help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaBe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: NIC works on LiveCD, not my own kernel, please help Reply with quote

OK, I have tried pretty much everything I could find in other network problem posts, I am still haviing some issues getting my eth0 to work...

eth0 comes up great when I boot the live CD, dhcp does it's job, I can ping yahoo and hosts internal to my network. No manual configuration needed there.

Now, when I boot from my genkernel (2.4.20, gentoo-sources) the device eth0 is intialized, but dhcp fails, I cant ping anything.

Unfortunately I am not right next to my gentoo box right now, so I will do my best to describe the the various debugging commands I am using...

ifconfig shows eth0 as being present without an IP

lsmod shows that bcm5700 is loaded, that is the same module the liveCD is using for my NIC.

My kernel has bcm5700 compiled as a module, so *I think my kernel is correct unless there is something else I am missing?

my /var/log/kernel/current shows the DHCP failing, it is complainging about a lack of IPv6 drivers. Now, I think I should be using IPv4, so where do I set what protocol (IPv6 vs IPv4) I am using??

dmesg has lines indicating it is finding my NIC, saying stuff like "Broadcom 5705 found...." and "eth0 NIC is down" or something to effect of those message. Nothing else really jumped out at me

I have also diffed all the config file from the liveCD with those my kernel is using, no differences found!

/etc/conf.d/net - Identical to the liveCD version, It has $iface_eth0 = "dhcp" (or whatever the correct sytax is, again, I'm not there right now :( )

/etc/init.d/net.et0 - identical to the liveCD version

so, ugh! When I run "dhcpcd -d eth0" the debug output consists of my MAC address, THANKS dhcpcd for the extremely verbose logging!

so is there any other config files I need to check? I really think this is an issue with the config files (over the kernel).

Thanks for any help!
michaelb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here goes.

Make sure that in /etc/conf.d/net the only uncommented line reads
Code:
iface_eth0="dhcp"

For the lack of IPv6 drivers, take a peek in /etc/rc.conf, you should have a line that reads
Code:
PROTOCOLS="1 2"

That will set you to using IP4.

You might want to try
Code:
# rc-update show
And make sure net.eth0 is listed at default.

When you invoke dhcpcd with the -d switch, very little gets displayed to the screen. The logging is all being done as local0 in your syslog. If you are using syslog-ng for example, try:
Code:
# grep dhcpcd /var/log/messages

That'll get us started anyway.

Michael
WannaBe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, checked all that, it is all setup as you suggest, and also identical to the live CD files.

"rc-update show" doesn't work in my version of rc-update, but I do know that net.eth0 is in the default run level because if I try to rc-update add it it says it is already there, and I have been trying to run "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" maually to no avail.

Aditionally the issue I thought was IPv6 may be unrelated, I re-compiled the kernel without IPv6 and the error message about missing IPv6 drivers went away, so that means something...

Another problem I have is I installed metalog, and I cant seem to find the debug messages from dhcpcd as you suggest, I dont have a var/log/messages! I do have /var/log/kernel/current, but it doesnt have any messages from dhcpcd that I can find?

Here is my "dmesg | grep eth0" output:

eth0: Broadcom BCM5705 1000Base-T found at mem ee000000, IRQ 11, node addr 00502c097f86
eth0: Broadcom BCM5705 Integrated Copper transceiver found
eth0: Scatter-gather ON, 64-bit DMA ON, Tx Checksum ON, Rx Checksum ON, 802.1Q VLAN ON
bcm5700: eth0 NIC Link is DOWN

When I boot off the live cd and the NIC is working the dmesg output is quite similar except for the Link is DOWN part. I cant post it if anyone thinks it is helpful.

So now I am really getting puzzled, what else could be different about the live cd and my hard drive kernel? I used a stage 3 tarball, followed the GRP steps, used genkernel to make my kernel, I got no clue what could be wrong .

Thanks for your help!
michaelb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have metalog installed and really don't know anything about it, but what you need to do is find out what it does with general message logging. Look in the config file, check the man pages, that sort of thing.

What might work for you is to add a line like
Code:
local0.* /var/log/dhcp.log

To the metalog config file, then restart the metalog daemon. The debugging messages from dhcpcd are what's going to be most helpful here I think.
WannaBe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here is the dhcpcd logging (in it's entirety)!...

[DHCPCD] Broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER
[DHCPCD] Timed out while waiting for a valid respone

The lights ARE blinking on my network adapter when dhcpcd is running. It all looks the same as when it actually works when booting from the live cd.

I am not seeing any log messages tagged like [local0], should I be? I configured metalog correctly, I am 99% sure.

This is just boggling my mind, I tried recompiling the kernel with only support for the bcm5700 kernel, no dice, same place I was. I had read in some other post about that working...

Maybe I could try another dhcp client? I'll keep messing with it, but geez, I just don't understand what could be going wrong

Thanks for your help!

-Rob
dsd
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WannaBe wrote:
bcm5700: eth0 NIC Link is DOWN

that means that there is no network cable plugged in. at least, thats what the kernel thinks. until it thinks that the link is UP then you probably wont have any joy...
WannaBe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOO

Ok, after reading some other posts, I tried adding a "pci=noacpi" kernel argument, and like magic I have networking!!!!!!!1

To make this search firendly Ill say my motherboard is a KT-600 Dragon Ultra with a Broadcom 5705 Gigabit adapter. If your using thar hardware thrown in the kernel argument to make your networking work!

Now to see why the computer locks up in my window manager ... (is gentoo always this much fun?!!?!)
Comarez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, now after two days of installation of Gentoo i can use my network connection.
Had also problems with my nic, a Realtek 8139, but it's settled now.
Xenocideisms
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this works im gunna kiss you ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: