View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Gnome 2 Focus Settings and rants Reply with quote

A question followed by a couple of rants:

How do I change the focus settings in Gnome 2? Selecting it in Desktop Preferences/Window Focus does absolutely nothing.

Is there a config file I can change? Some option in Gconf? I would love to use Gnome2, vsg icons are very cool, but unless I can get focus settings that mean it follows the mouse, and doesn't raise the window unless I specifically click on the bar across the top, then I don't think I could stand it.

Or is this a sawfish setting? Anyway, if someone can point me in the right direction to a config file or config program that would be great.

Now for my rants.
I think that in general people prefer Gnome and like it more, but think that KDE is more advanced and better. I wonder if we are being brainwashed to a certain degree into thinking KDE is more popular than it really is? I say this because I much prefer Gnome but have considered KDE to be superior. My cousin a new Linux user prefers Gnome. I think that Gnome is just a lot more likeable than KDE.

Another rant: my ISP has implemented an acceptable use policy for dialup! I can't go over 648 MB a month. How annoying! What is worse, taking into account phone call and line charges, it's just as good for me to get cable with 3GB limit - and that's with faster speeds. Makes me wonder how they think they can survive? The problem with me changing to cable is apathetic parents, but they'll get around to it sometime. So I've had to tell Galeon to not load images and take care with my downloads. Even with that I still reach the limit without downloading enough to keep my Gentoo system up to date like I used to.

Back to desktops, I'm excited to see the future of Gnome. I'm starting to give it a lot more respect than I used to. If I can work out this focus settings problem then I'll be sold.
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out how to change it, with the sawfish-ui app. However, I can't find out another option:
How can I change it so that clicking on a menu, text entry box, etc, does not raise the window to the front? I only want it to come to the front if I alt-left click it or if I click on the title bar.

Any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: