View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Kde and Gnome both crash! Reply with quote

The other day I was sitting in class, using my laptop running gentoo, as it has for the last 6 months without being rebooted. This time however my battery ran out and I had to shut down the machine. This proved deadly to kde for some reason. When I booted my machine back up, KDE refused to load, the ksmserver kept giving me signal 11 when I logged into kde. I unemerged and re-emerged kde (3.1.5) several times with different CFLAGS (my default c-flags is -03 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer) I tried with -02 and -01 and with -march=pentium3 (since pentium4 isn't supposed to work anyway). KDE still wouldn't load, it gave me a sig11 loading the ksmserver as it had before. I then decided I would switch to gnome, which I don't really like, but hey, it's better than nothing. Upon emerging gnome, I went to log in and surprise surprise the exact same thing happened that had happened with kde, cept it was the gsmserver instead of the ksmserver. I went thru the whole process of re-emerging gnome with different cflags to no avail. I am totally at a loss as to what else the problem might be and I don't know what I would submit a bug report based on because it's either kde and gnome, or neither and something else entirely. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother sending a bug report.
Since the problem is neither with Gnome or KDE - proven by the fact you get the same errors in both - the next step is to check Xfree.
Read the Xfree logs left in /var/log for what happens when it tries to start a WM/DE.
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no errors in the xfree logs. Also kdm and gdm both work, and X loads just fine. Also, even the basic Xsession crashes on login, the only difference is when the Xsession crashes it locks up the whole machine. There is nothing in any of the logs about this. In kde and gnome, I get a message that there's been a sig11 and X stays loaded unless I kill it or click ok, if I click ok it locks up my machine, if I kill X the machine is fine.
Might it be something else aside from X?

Thanks
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibtim13 wrote:
There are no errors in the xfree logs.

Sutrely you can temporarily increase the level of debugging output to the Xfree log.
ibtim13 wrote:
Also kdm and gdm both work, and X loads just fine. Also, even the basic Xsession crashes on login, the only difference is when the Xsession crashes it locks up the whole machine.

This might indicate that it is something related to running in X that causes the trouble.

ibtim13 wrote:
There is nothing in any of the logs about this. In kde and gnome, I get a message that there's been a sig11 and X stays loaded unless I kill it or click ok, if I click ok it locks up my machine, if I kill X the machine is fine.

So the actual error (the same one when not using kde or gnome) is generated when X tries to transfer control somewhere.
Think about this:
- error when trying to run Xsession or KDE or Gnome login
- no error when shutting down X forcefully
- no error when something crashes, only a crash when letting X try to solve that crash
In each of these cases the error occurs on the point where X delegates control of the session to another program (I think; I'm not an X guru).

ibtim13 wrote:
Might it be something else aside from X?

Possibly - I would start by checking on the permissions of various essential directories, like the Xauth stuff in the home dir, or the /tmp dir's X dirs (which hold the pipes to the actual X server session).
I had a (often seen) problem when I just installed Gentoo and X in that the /tmp permissions were screwed; only by killing X and re-setting the permissions on /tmp could I log in as a normal user - /tmp had 0755 permissions, so the X server could not transfer ownership of a session to a user.
(/tmp needs 0777 permissions at all times)
Al-Fredo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should boot your box once in a while ? :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: