finally installed ... boots ... but strange error ... HEEELP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unhappyStar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: finally installed ... boots ... but strange error ... HEEELP Reply with quote

my system finally booted then it gets to this part ... guote

"
Checking all filesystems...
fsck 1.33 (21-Apr-2003)

Modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/BOOT

fsckext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/BOOT

/dev/BOOT: This superblock cannot be read or doesn't describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contain an ext2 filesystem then the superblock is corrupt

You might want to try running e2fsck w/ alternate superblock.
"

So WTF?!?!?!

After I decide to pass it, the system seems to boot OK but when i try to go to /boot... there seems to be nothing there My windows partition won't boot and i cannot fix the grub.conf since it's in /boot

HEEEEEEELLLPPPP

my config is

/dev/hda1 NTFS 20GB windows 2000k system
/dev/hda2 FAT 30GB storage partition
/dev/hda3 ext2 100MB /boot
/dev/hda4 EXTENDED
/dev/hda5 swap 1GB /swap
/dev/hda6 reiserfs 30GB /

what did i do wrong ... is it not mounting correctly ... if so why does it actualy boot
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you didn't change the line in /etc/fstab to check your /boot mount point. Instead of /dev/BOOT, it should read /dev/hda3. Also, /boot isn't mounted at boot. Ig you need to edit the files there, you need to mount it manually.
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem, but I this I mounted everything right in fstab. I think I know my problem, is cuz I made the /hda1 boot ext3. I made the fstab reflect that, but it's still not working. Can the boot partition only be ext2?

Another problem I have is that it says it failed to initialize eth0, says that 'netmount' was not loaded.

not sure what that means.

last problem, when i log in it just goes to my prompt, and I'm having problems loading x windows. if it helps i'd like to run kde.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wario wrote:
I'm having the same problem, but I this I mounted everything right in fstab. I think I know my problem, is cuz I made the /hda1 boot ext3. I made the fstab reflect that, but it's still not working. Can the boot partition only be ext2?

ext3 is ok, too. post /etc/fstab, we'll see...

Quote:

Another problem I have is that it says it failed to initialize eth0, says that 'netmount' was not loaded.

check /etc/conf.d/net
I think there's documentation how to set it up in the install docs.

Quote:

last problem, when i log in it just goes to my prompt, and I'm having problems loading x windows. if it helps i'd like to run kde.

if X is configured, 'rc-update add xdm default' and edit /etc/rc.conf to contain DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm". See the Desktop guide http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml
unhappyStar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you were correct ... thanx, man

the problem is that everything in fstab looks like this

/dev/BOOT /boot
/dev/ROOT /
/dev/SWAP swap

since all the other partition are not set up properly, why can i see what's in them and only the boot failed, should i correct all the other stuff too
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, fix the other ones too. I don't know why they worked properly. They shouldn't have.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

since all the other partition are not set up properly, why can i see what's in them and only the boot failed, should i correct all the other stuff too

You were able to boot your kernel because grub was set up correctly to boot from that partition.
/ got mounted because of the line root=/dev/hd.. in grub.conf and thus you could see everything. swap was not activated.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
Quote:

You were able to boot your kernel because grub was set up correctly to boot from that partition.
/ got mounted because of the line root=/dev/hd.. in grub.conf and thus you could see everything. swap was not activated.

That's it, thanks. You learn something new everyday.
unhappyStar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now, i have corrected everthing. why can't i still see what is in /boot. even when i log in as root? any explaination

also none of my emu10k1 packages work

in the install doc it said to do "emerge emu10k1" but it always failed to download some xfree86 patch. some dude here advised to do "emerge -k emu10k1" this went through correctly but now at boot all the packages fail

what can i do
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

/dev/BOOT /boot ext3 noauto,noatime $
/dev/ROOT / xfs noatime $

that seems to be the lines that are pertinant. I have to use a KVM switch so I can't copy and paste.

another problem with the fstab, is that it won't let me modify it, even whem i'm logged in as root.

I entered 'netmount' into the conf.d/net

we'll see how that works after a reboot.
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, surfed some other posts, and replaced in the first line of fstab, /dev/BOOT with /dev/hda1

and that fixxxxxed that. now all I gotta tackle is that netmount thing. adding that into /etc/conf.d/net didn't work (longshot). any other suggestions before i rtfm like a noob?
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsnap.

ok, tried to do an ifconfig eth0, and this is what i got

# ifconfig eth0
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

which is straight weird, because i run a router with dhcp, and when i was going through the install, it downloaded gangs of stuff off the internet, but now it's not working? i'm confuddled.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unhappyStar wrote:
now, i have corrected everthing. why can't i still see what is in /boot. even when i log in as root? any explaination

also none of my emu10k1 packages work

in the install doc it said to do "emerge emu10k1" but it always failed to download some xfree86 patch. some dude here advised to do "emerge -k emu10k1" this went through correctly but now at boot all the packages fail

what can i do

/boot isn't mounted automatically. If you want to edit the files on it, you need to manually mount /boot.
Code:
mount /boot
will mount it for you and
Code:
umount /boot
will unmount it when you are finished.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wario wrote:
ohsnap.

ok, tried to do an ifconfig eth0, and this is what i got

# ifconfig eth0
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

which is straight weird, because i run a router with dhcp, and when i was going through the install, it downloaded gangs of stuff off the internet, but now it's not working? i'm confuddled.

In /etc/confid/net, you need to set iface_eth0 to dhcp. Here are the relevant lines from my /etc/conf.d/net:
Code:

# /etc/conf.d/net:
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/conf.d/net,v 1.7 2002/11/18 19:39:22 az$

# Global config file for net.* rc-scripts

# This is basically the ifconfig argument without the ifconfig $iface
#
#iface_eth0="192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
#iface_eth1="207.170.82.202 broadcast 207.0.255.255 netmask 255.255.0.0"

# For DHCP set iface_eth? to "dhcp"
# For passing options to dhcpcd use dhcpcd_eth?
#
iface_eth0="dhcp"
#dhcpcd_eth0="..."

The important part is "iface_eth0="dhcp"
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's whats in there already.

If I'm reading this error correctly, it's saying that it's not that it can't poll a dhcp server, it's that it's not detecting the network card, which is strange because it's onboard, and it was working before during the installation.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output of lspci? Are you sure that you have compiled in support for your onboard NIC? Or compiled it as a module and the module is loaded? You could try booting into the livecd, and seeing what modules it loads. It should be pretty easy to pick out which module is for your NIC.
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I put it in the kernel, or if I made a module for it. Basically if the instructions told me to do it, I did it.

I put in the livecd, booted up, and after it did the autoconfiguring devices thing, it went to Starting USB and PCI hotplugging, and then it says "network device eth0 detected. DHCP broadcasting for IP" and then it works just fine there, but rebooting, bam, nothing again. couldn't really decern a module name.

I tried following the manually configure your network settings thing by using ifconfig eth0 ip broadcast gateway but it just gave me 'device not found'
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wario wrote:
Not sure if I put it in the kernel, or if I made a module for it. Basically if the instructions told me to do it, I did it.

I put in the livecd, booted up, and after it did the autoconfiguring devices thing, it went to Starting USB and PCI hotplugging, and then it says "network device eth0 detected. DHCP broadcasting for IP" and then it works just fine there, but rebooting, bam, nothing again. couldn't really decern a module name.

I tried following the manually configure your network settings thing by using ifconfig eth0 ip broadcast gateway but it just gave me 'device not found'

It doesn't appear that you have support for your NIC in your kernel. The way to tell what modules are loaded is "lsmod". Run that from the livecd. That will tell you all of the modules that it loaded to make your computer functional. If you used genkernel, then all of the modules were compiled, it's up to you to insert them.
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8139too is running, with mii running off of that module.

8139 is a realtek model. it appears that we can use it for a generic nic driver and have everything work.

question now is, how to i get MY kernel to load 8139too?

(please help because I don't know anything!)
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emerging hotplug, that should load your network card just like the LiveCD did.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotplug is one solution. You could also put the modules that you want loaded in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4.
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of these would be lovely if I hadn't just inadvertantly messed something up.

accidently entered something into my /etc/fstab in the wrong syntax, and now the system won't boot at all. when i go to try and correct it, it tells me it can't open the file because it's write protected or something.

anything i can do to fix this?
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you boot into the livecd and mount your root partition, you will be able to chroot over and edit your fstab that way.
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgive me for being a complete and total retard.

every time i try and mount something from the livecd, it tells me that whatever i'm trying to mount isn't located in /etc/fstab

if it helps my root is /dev/hda3 and i'm using reiserfs.

i tried mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/root, and that didn't work. altho i think i have the syntax right.
wario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed it.

<3 for CheeZe from the irc channel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: