Bringing lo up...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhUmra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Bringing lo up... Reply with quote

I'm running into an odd problem. I had Gentoo up and running just fine. Kernel 2.4.22 (gentoo-sources, just emerged today so whatever that kernel would have been) and I had XFce up and running perfectly. Installed Enemy Territory (a game) and that worked fine also but when I exited my system would hang for just a little bit everytime I typed anything in with the keyboard. I rebooted and now my system hangs on Bringing lo up...

I searched and another person had a similar problem with lo (whatever it is) and nobody responded. I don't know how to disable lo or what it is or how to get around it or anything. Any help would be great.
turtlendog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: lo == loopback network device Reply with quote

lo is your loopback network interface. It's required for lots of things. Something must have changed in your network config.

Maybe you can find out what's going on by changing these lines so that stderr is not discarded. Then you might see a message that tells you what's going on.

Code:
< root@ben:/etc/init.d # >grep '127.0.0.1' ./*
./net.lo:   /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up 2>/dev/null
./net.lo:      gw 127.0.0.1 dev lo 2> /dev/null

#edited for clarity.
I might cange those lines to something like:
Code:

./net.lo:   /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up 2>> /root/ifconfig.debug
./net.lo:      gw 127.0.0.1 dev lo 2>> /root/route.dbug

Or just let it go to the screen.

Last edited by turtlendog on Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhUmra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that I don't know how to get past it because it hangs my computer. That is when my computer is booting up. Should I boot with LiveCD and work from there?
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I understand your quetion correctly, but is this the first time that you reboot since updating your kernel?

I so, you probably missconfigured something there, you should allways make a grub/lilo entry for your previous kernel, in case something goes wrong.

Anyway, if that's the case, booting from the LiveCD and recompiling your kernel with proper settings should solve your problem.
deepthought
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is odd. Use the livecd to boot, chroot into your system and try to remove lo from boot services with rc-update. Then reboot. Note that this is *not* the solution to your problem, I just want your box to boot so that we can figure things out.

BTW, it would be nice if you could post /var/log/everything/current (the last 50 lines or so).

Regards,
Alexander
Registered Linux User #317705
dhUmra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusty_ar wrote:
I don't know if I understand your quetion correctly, but is this the first time that you reboot since updating your kernel?

I so, you probably missconfigured something there, you should allways make a grub/lilo entry for your previous kernel, in case something goes wrong.

Anyway, if that's the case, booting from the LiveCD and recompiling your kernel with proper settings should solve your problem.

Nope, my kernel was running fine for quiet a few boots. I didn't really install anything special, just a game. I'm getting some errors when it starts up my modules, so I will first try to remove a few of them that I put in myself and see if that, for some reason, resolves any problems. If not I will be back and post the logs.

Thanks for your help so far!
dhUmra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding. I'm in XFce right now but without net.lo so, as has been said, this is only a temporary solution. I did a

rc-update add net.lo default

and got some weird messages on the reboot.

I first removed all of my modules in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 and THEN I readded net.lo to the bootup, thats when I got the weird messages : which I did not backup because I am a n00b and forgot so it is now overwritten.

This is going to sound newbish but...I don't have a /var/log/everything/current, my log directory contains:

lastlog - bunch of @ signs
XFree86.0.log
emerge.log
XFree86.0.log.old

and two empty directories:
cups
news

I'm going to go try to put net.lo back in and reboot. I will edit this post if all goes well.

OK, it works great again. Thank you all - I will now describe what I did to resolve it, if, in fact, it did not do it itself.

chrooted into my system after booting in livecd. I then removed /etc/modules.autoload (which prolly didn't do anything but it was bugging me). I then edited /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 and # all of the modules. I then rc-update del net.lo. After that I rebooted and it worked with a lot of errors. I edited /etc/fstab and took out the mounting of the vfat partition (didn't work anyways) and insmod 8139too and then dhcpcd eth0 to see if my internet worked. It did and I then uncommented 8139too in the modules autoload and rebooted. I tried to start X but it died because I also had my USB mouse modules commented and it couldn't initiate a mouse. I RECOMMENTED everything and rc-update add net.lo default and got some weird errors because 8139too module was commented. Again removed net.lo from the boot runlevel and put all the modules back in. Started up, posted here, and then decided to try it again and net.lo came up fine. Confusing but it worked and I probably wasted a lot of time in uncommenting and rebooting and commenting and rebooting. Just thought I would let anybody with this same problem know what happened to me.

Thanks to all of you who helped!
turtlendog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: logs Reply with quote

Here's a tip if you're running sysklogd, add the following to your /etc/syslog.conf

Code:
*.*                                     /dev/tty12

It will send all logs to your tty12 so you can see the latest as they generate by hitting ctrl+alt+F12 (if you're in X) or alt+F12 otherwise. Hit alt+F7 to go back to your X session.

There is no /var/log/everything/current. What the poster meant was show us the current stuff in /var/log. The problem with that is that yor logs are spread out in different directories depending on what they relate to, and the log level. One way to handle that (temporarily) us to make an everything log like so.

Use a similar line to the /dev/tty12 in /etc/syslog.conf

Code:

*.*                                             /var/log/everything

Then you can

Code:
/etc/init.d/sysklogd restart

And you'll have a everything log. The reason you wouldn't make this permanent, is because the logs are already there, you just have to know where to look. I'ts a little redundand, but handy.
dhUmra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now my system is hanging on Setting domainname! UG. It worked just fine last boot and now another problem arises. I have restarted a few times and now I must go BACK into livecd and do nothing but remove domainname and readd it. :?
deepthought
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "everything" logfile is already there. Because every syslog developer decided to randomly choose a funny name for the "everything" logfile, it's a complete mess to guess the correct one. For you, it is /var/log/messages which -- as you stated above -- is already there.

Regards,
Alexander
Registered Linux User #317705
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: