That cool Gentoo loading screen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coobs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: That cool Gentoo loading screen Reply with quote

Hello.

Is there any way to make that extremely cool gentoo loading screen that appears when you boot the LiveCD show up during normal boot, instead of all the kernel / init messages?

Just need it, to show it to all the WinXP losers and say 'NOW is there anything else on your system that I don't have?' :)

THANKS
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is even better (but might not work - right now - with 2.6)

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036&highlight=bootsplash
Dillinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work with any 2.6.0 kernel, the patch is written for test9 but it still works with the official release. I upgraded to 2.6.2 yesterday and bootsplash went bye bye :(
registered Linux user #338885
www.easylinuxguide.com
www.linuxforums.org
jesterspet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: That cool Gentoo loading screen Reply with quote

coobs wrote:
Just need it, to show it to all the WinXP losers and say 'NOW is there anything else on your system that I don't have?' :)

After you get the bootsplash working & you really want to show off, look into making your own .mng files. Those are supported as well.

:arrow: An animated bootscreen really is just rubbing it in a bit though (like they don't deserve it)

I am looking at grabbing a few good frames of Pilot From Farscape, working his console (my computers theme is all around Moya). Loop it & then it should look like Pilot is starting up all my system services & such 8)

If you run with this Idea, you could have your very own Matrix Construct scrolling rows & rows of weapons past the screen, Navi from Lain Serial Experiment, or what ever trips your fancy.
Egil.B
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillinger wrote:
It will work with any 2.6.0 kernel, the patch is written for test9 but it still works with the official release. I upgraded to 2.6.2 yesterday and bootsplash went bye bye :(

It works great for me with 2.6.2-ck1 :wink:
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillinger wrote:

Did you issue the command bootsplash_patch after linking the 2.6.2 source to /usr/src/linux ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: