Improper shutdown... do I need to fsck?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainCaveman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Improper shutdown... do I need to fsck? Reply with quote

Okay, earlier today I had an "improper shutdown" (also known as hitting the button on the power strip).

Every other distro I've tried, in this situation, would upon reboot inform me that '[drive] was not cleanly unmounted, check forced' or something like that.

When I rebooted this time, it came back and told me '[drive] clean.'

Now, do I need to run fsck or can I trust that this is ok? (I'm using ext3 filesystem.)
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ext3 is a journaling filesystem and upon reboot recovered its journal so, all and all its fine probably fine. Running a fsck wouldn't hurt if you had time to burn, but I'd doubt it would find anything bad.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using ext3, it did a quick consistency check using the journal and then went on to mount the now-clean drive. It will even say so a bit before actually mounting the drive.

ext2 does the same thing, including declaring the drive clean after the check and then mounting it.

The consistency check is just really fast when all you need to do is a journal playback. :)
CaptainCaveman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhhhhh... it was the quickness that threw me, I'm used to waiting for fsck to do the whole
Quote:

'uncleanly mounted, checking drive......========[long pause as it checks]==============...... ok'

This just went 'Fsck drive clean' immediately, so I figured I screwed something up.

Thanks.
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it say that it was fixing anything? Or did the bar just go straight across without saying anything else?

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
CaptainCaveman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a bar for this, it just came up and said 'Fsck (something) drive clean.'
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it didn't complain to you that "inode blah blah is supposed to be blah blah blah, fixing," then nothing was lost/corrupted. It has been so long since I've seen the fsck error messages that I can't even remember what they say; I suppose that's a good thing huh?

mvc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

I have made a similar 'forced' shutdown but then, every time the system reboots, it tells that the filesystem has errors, but doesn't run fsck. So I did

shutdown -F

(for forcing a fsck next time the system reboots) and so it did, but the message is still there every time i reboot.

Does gentoo have a sort of 'interactive' mode to startup, like redhat does? I would like to run fsck on my root partition but I don't know how can I get to a state where I can unmount it.

thanks
mvc
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: