Need help with grub on AMD64 (error 17)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonkie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Need help with grub on AMD64 (error 17) Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to install gentoo on my AMD64 machine. I installed everything onto a software raid 0, but I'm unable to load the system. During boot, I get a grub "Error 17", which apparently means that the partition exists but the type cannot be recognized by grub.

My grub.conf file looks like this:
Code:

default 0
timeout 10

title gentoo raid
root (hd2,0)
kernel (hd2,0)/boot/kernel-2.6.1 root=/dev/md0

Running "grub-install /dev/sda" generates the following device.map file:
Code:

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/hdb
(hd2) /dev/sda
(hd3) /dev/sdb

hda and hdb are ide disks that are running windows. sda and sdb are the 2 serial ata drives that make up my raid array.

My motherboard is a ASUS K8V Deluxe (updated to the latest bios, 1005) and the raid is setup on 2 SATA disks on the VIA 8237 controller. I followed the software raid 0 setup guide from this forum to create the raid, setting aside a boot partition on each of the disks. The raid itself works fine when I boot using the livecd. The actual boot partition that I ended up using was sda1, or (hd2,0) in grub.

When I run grub from the command-line it recognizes everything fine:

Code:

grub> root (hd2,
 Possible partitions are:
   Partition num: 0  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
   Partition num: 1  Filesystem type is unknown, partition type 0x82
   Partition num: 2  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd

grub> root (hd2,0)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

grub> setup (hd2)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd2)"...  16 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd2) (hd2)1+16 p (hd2,0)/boot/grub/stage2
/boot/grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
Done.

I tried making a grub bootdisk, but for some reason when i boot the livecd my floppy drive is inaccessible. So I made a bootdisk from an older redhat machine i have (RH9) and booted with that (I don't think that should make a difference).

When I try out the root command after booting to a grub shell using the boot disk, I see that a few things are off. First, the disks have changed order (hd0 and hd2 are now the NT disks), and second one of my SATA disks is missing (the one that grub can see is hd1). Third, when I run the root command on hd1 (the only recognized SATA disk), it prints the partitions properly, only it doesn't recognize any of the filesystems:

Code:

grub> root (hd2,
 Possible partitions are:
   Partition num: 0  Filesystem type is unknown, partition type 0x83
   Partition num: 1  Filesystem type is unknown, partition type 0x82
   Partition num: 2  Filesystem type is unknown, partition type 0xfd

At first I thought that (hd1) might be the 2nd SATA drive, so I tried setting up the boot partition and installing grub on that, but it didn't help (partition 0 of both SATA drives now has a valid filesystem and grub config installed).

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions that I can checkout? I'm pretty much stumped at this point. I was going to try out LILO but it seems to be masked under AMD64 (any way around that?)
Thanks in advance,

-wonkie
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which disk are you actually booting from? Are you doing anything in the BIOS to make it select that boot disk? When you run the GRUB command prompt am I correct to assume you are doing it from the cd rom boot?

Edit:

Let me clarify my questions a bit. Your error 17 indicates the partition which is (hd2,0) when you boot from the cd is not being interpreted by grub as (hd2,0) when you actually boot from your normal boot device. Grub will always use the actual boot device as (hd0), so there may be some shuffling as a result of attempts in the BIOS to boot from something other than the first hard drive.

Planes are dangerous, get out of 'em quick
wonkie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: problem solved Reply with quote

Finally tracked down the problem. It turns out that I had created a RAID array using my 2 SATA disks in the VIA bios. I was originally planning to use the raid in windows, and apparently forgot to delete the array before trying to install gentoo.

That must've been what was causing the confusion, after deleting the array from the bios and reinstalling gentoo everything is working great.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: